Pool connection to golf.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I didn't. Know this. Maybe the reason his cues were so good.

In 1986, Callaway hired a billiard cue designer, Richard C. Helmstetter, as a consultant. Helmstetter was named chief club designer that same year and introduced computer-controlled manufacturing machines. With his help and that of Glenn Schmidt, the company's master tool maker, the company developed the original Big Bertha driver using large-volume (190cc) steel clubhead. The Big Bertha driver grew to 290 cc in 1997.[7]

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't. Know this. Maybe the reason his cues were do good.

In 1986, Callaway hired a billiard cue designer, Richard C. Helmstetter, as a consultant. Helmstetter was named chief club designer that same year and introduced computer-controlled manufacturing machines. With his help and that of Glenn Schmidt, the company's master tool maker, the company developed the original Big Bertha driver using large-volume (190cc) steel clubhead. The Big Bertha driver grew to 290 cc in 1997.[7]
Callaway's first clubs were called Hickory Sticks. They had wooden shafts with steel shaft cores. Apparently they had problems boring straight holes thru the hickory. Somehow they connected with Helm who showed them how to do it. The rest is golf history.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Callaway's first clubs were called Hickory Sticks. They had wooden shafts with steel shaft cores. Apparently they had problems boring straight holes thru the hickory. Somehow they connected with Helm who showed them how to do it. The rest is golf history.
Thanks for that! I knew that Helm got involved with Callaway, but did not know the origin of his involvement - now it makes sense!(y)