Pool cue weight

Poolbawls

Member
I like a pool cue with a forward balance. A weight bolt puts the weight at the backend, so that is not ideal. I’ve considered placing weight bolts at the front of the core, where it screws into the forearm or even behind the pin at the joint. Last thing I want to do is compromise the forearm, but I’m just not sure what the options are. What methods are you using to put the weight of a pool cue in the right location?
 
I like a pool cue with a forward balance. A weight bolt puts the weight at the backend, so that is not ideal. I’ve considered placing weight bolts at the front of the core, where it screws into the forearm or even behind the pin at the joint. Last thing I want to do is compromise the forearm, but I’m just not sure what the options are. What methods are you using to put the weight of a pool cue in the right location?
Try eyocues. Ernie Omori builds some beautiful forward balanced full splice cues.
Send a private message to eyocues and he should respond in a few days.
 
I like a pool cue with a forward balance. A weight bolt puts the weight at the backend, so that is not ideal. I’ve considered placing weight bolts at the front of the core, where it screws into the forearm or even behind the pin at the joint. Last thing I want to do is compromise the forearm, but I’m just not sure what the options are. What methods are you using to put the weight of a pool cue in the right location?
What pin is in it ? When I balance and weigh my cues i play around with the weight bolt and joint pin weight to get a balance. I'm thinking Bert Shrager use to put a weight below the joint pin and one in back too to balance things out. Some weight the back of the shaft
 
I've added weight to a few of my shafts, one a 3/8"x10 and one a radial. On the 3/8x10 I drilled and tapped further into the shaft for a cut off piece of 3/8x10" joint protector screw I cut back. On another 3/8"x10 and on a radial I drilled and tapped further into the shaft for a piece of 5/16"x14 threaded stainless rod. In all three cases I added about .3 oz and cut a slot into the threaded insert for a screw driver to screw in.
The 5/16"x14 was the easiest and would be the way I would do it again, or if making a new shaft I would just drill and tap further.
The rod screws in pretty tight, but I also used some silicone sealant to lock it in but still get out if needed.
.3 oz doesn't seem like much, but if you mostly like the weight of your cue before, when you add that .3 oz in the front, you can also take off .2 to .3 oz from the butt and the adding and subtracting will make a noticeable change in balance.
 
I've added weight to a few of my shafts, one a 3/8"x10 and one a radial. On the 3/8x10 I drilled and tapped further into the shaft for a cut off piece of 3/8x10" joint protector screw I cut back. On another 3/8"x10 and on a radial I drilled and tapped further into the shaft for a piece of 5/16"x14 threaded stainless rod. In all three cases I added about .3 oz and cut a slot into the threaded insert for a screw driver to screw in.
The 5/16"x14 was the easiest and would be the way I would do it again, or if making a new shaft I would just drill and tap further.
The rod screws in pretty tight, but I also used some silicone sealant to lock it in but still get out if needed.
.3 oz doesn't seem like much, but if you mostly like the weight of your cue before, when you add that .3 oz in the front, you can also take off .2 to .3 oz from the butt and the adding and subtracting will make a noticeable change in balance.
Try 5/16×18 socket set screws. You can drill deeper than you need and position screws where you wish. Use two screws and lock them together. They come in many lengths.
An Allen wrench tightens them easily. I use this method in the butt of the cue with 3/8×16 set screws. I drill a 12 inch hole and coat the walls of the hole with super thin ca.
The threads will come out very clean. Weight can be set any where in the hole as long as the set screws are locked together. Balance can be adjusted at any time.
 
What pin is in it ? When I balance and weigh my cues i play around with the weight bolt and joint pin weight to get a balance. I'm thinking Bert Shrager use to put a weight below the joint pin and one in back too to balance things out. Some weight the back of the shaft
Thank you, I’m not really talking about a specific pool cue. While assembling my last few pool cues, I tried to manipulate the weight to give them a forward balance. I seem to recall reading that weight has been installed in the core, but I’ve never read it being installed behind the pin. The weight bolts I have are 3/8-16 (.3 oz). The problem I have is I primarily use 3/8-10 pins with a .308 pilot. I suppose I could install them and then insert a plug over the top of them for the pin, or install a longer plug with the weight installed at the bottom, but I worry about the forearm becoming weak. My last pool cue, I ended up using a copper pin, simply for the weight. I’d prefer not being forced to use any particular pin to accomplish forward balance. I’ve never thought about putting a weight in the shaft and quite honestly that seems like asking for trouble.
 
I've added weight to a few of my shafts, one a 3/8"x10 and one a radial. On the 3/8x10 I drilled and tapped further into the shaft for a cut off piece of 3/8x10" joint protector screw I cut back. On another 3/8"x10 and on a radial I drilled and tapped further into the shaft for a piece of 5/16"x14 threaded stainless rod. In all three cases I added about .3 oz and cut a slot into the threaded insert for a screw driver to screw in.
The 5/16"x14 was the easiest and would be the way I would do it again, or if making a new shaft I would just drill and tap further.
The rod screws in pretty tight, but I also used some silicone sealant to lock it in but still get out if needed.
.3 oz doesn't seem like much, but if you mostly like the weight of your cue before, when you add that .3 oz in the front, you can also take off .2 to .3 oz from the butt and the adding and subtracting will make a noticeable change in balance.
Thank you. As I mentioned in my reply to Pop, I’m hesitant to put weights in the shaft as it seems that it would weaken the shaft. But it is intriguing to me. I’ll certainly give it some thought on pool cues I presently have as adding weight to the butt end would require much more work.
 
Thank you. As I mentioned in my reply to Pop, I’m hesitant to put weights in the shaft as it seems that it would weaken the shaft. But it is intriguing to me. I’ll certainly give it some thought on pool cues I presently have as adding weight to the butt end would require much more work.
You are going to need a lathe to do it. A cuemaker will probably want to plug it and retap deeper. Could get expensive but accomplish what you want. There is a maker out there that makes their shafts this way, I think Becue but may be wrong. I don't know why others don't do this.
Here is a pic of one of the weights I made, also another alternative to try. They are just simple weights you can put between a shaft and butt. They come in 8 gr to 13 gr They actually are pretty nice to try but not sure any will fit Schon.
NICEXMAS-Pool-Cue-Weight-Ring-10-Gram-Stainless-Steel-Plated-Silver-Billiard-Stick-Accessory-f...jpg
Shaft insert a.jpg
 
Last edited:
You are going to need a lathe to do it. A cuemaker will probably want to plug it and retap deeper. Could get expensive but accomplish what you want. There is a maker out there that makes their shafts this way, I think Becue but may be wrong. I don't know why others don't do this.
Here is a pic of one of the weights I made, also another alternative to try. They are just simple weights you can put between a shaft and butt. They come in 8 gr to 13 gr They actually are pretty nice to try but not sure any will fit Schon.
View attachment 935235View attachment 935236
Thank you for your input. Putting weight in the shaft appears to be a good alternative, but my focus was getting the weight in the butt end during construction. Putting the weight in the shaft to me seems like something I would do to a pool cue that is already assembled. I’ve never seen the weight that’s placed between the shaft and butt, and that would be something I might use to get an idea of how much weight to add as opposed to using on a daily basis. I don’t have much in regards to equipment, but I seem to be making some progress with what I have. My biggest asset is time, and I’m not sure how much of that I have, of course, nobody does. I just enjoy having something to do when it’s rainy season here.
 
Back
Top