Pool Movies--let's get some ratings

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The fundamental problem with the COM is it was predicated on the dump. That’s just a bad image for pool, not that we have the best image anyways.

It was a boost for pool, at what cost? Probably not much.

Hustler was a much better movie.

Fatboy<———seen both over 100X

In my occasional thinking to myself I think ok we've been through the smoky pool room, the recreation center and the strip mall sports bar.

I think its time for a movie that is about making it on the pool circuit and leave the old way behind. In fact maybe that is part of the plot.

Pool needs another movie but this time, let's clean things up and leave it behind.

Best movie the color of money. EXCEPT for when Vince nonchallontly leaves a bank shot on the 9ball or some ball while ditching against Grady Seasons. Everything was wide open on the table so Mcready should have said that Vince would NEVER leave shape for a bank shot in that situation.

The Hustler is overated...when whats his name sets up a caroms game for Freddy and then expects him to just be good at it even though he's never played it?

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Shooting Gallery is a good movie. I have it in my top 5, which includes, The Hustler, Baltimore Bullet, TCOM and Pool Hall Junkies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best movie the color of money. EXCEPT for when Vince nonchallontly leaves a bank shot on the 9ball or some ball while ditching against Grady Seasons. Everything was wide open on the table so Mcready should have said that Vince would NEVER leave shape for a bank shot in that situation.

The Hustler is overated...when whats his name sets up a caroms game for Freddy and then expects him to just be good at it even though he's never played it?
That Freddy, what a guy

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... and yet both were nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards. Both, consequently, generated a lot of interest in pool.

Both were excellent films, and The Color of Money is the better pool movie, while The Hustler is the better movie, because pool is the backdrop for an examination of life, principles, sacrifices, heartbreak and redemption.

You hit the nail on the head. The cast of Newman, Laurie, Scott and Gleason are insurmountable. You just failed to mention that in The Color Of Money Tom Cruise was and continues to be an a$$clown. Risky Business was his claim to fame. Newman propped him up in The Color Of Money. Hoffman kept him afloat in Rainman.

Last edited:

gerryf

You hit the nail on the head. The cast of Newman, Laurie, Scott and Gleason are insurmountable. You just failed to mention that in The Color Of Money Tom Cruise was and continues to be an a$$clown. Risky Business was his claim to fame. Newman propped him up in The Color Of Money. Hoffman kept him afloat in Rainman.
In TCOM, "Vincent" was a role played by an actor. Tom Cruise played the role the way the director wanted it played. He was supposed to be a 'flake', and he played it convincingly. (Very similar to some of the 'flakes' i see at the pool hall every week.)

Fast Eddy made it clear that he only became involved with Vincent because of the money that could be made with a flake.

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The Hustler was a pool movie masterpiece.
The Color Of Money was a disaster.
Great movie, but Eddie blew up at his marks too often to be a convincing hustler. He should be walking away with their money and them saying, wow, he was nice guy.

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Best line in a pool movie, "Do you think I should loose some weight". Whitaker should of gotten an award for his part.