Pool overtime (medium)

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
It appears that once the season goes full swing, I will be playing pool about six days a week. Each day that is played allows me to work on different disciplines.... I did not plan it this way, it's just the way the cards fell:

Sunday - APA 9
Monday - APA 8
Tuesday - Community league 8-ball Bar Rules
Thursday - APA 8 (Only will be captain, and managing the team, I will only play IF I have to)
Friday - Practice Drills Only
Saturday - Community tournament 8-ball Bar Rules & Practice Drills only

My concern is burning myself out. I reallly don't have much say in getting off any of the nites, with the exception of the practice drills. Yes, I do have a F/T job, along with other projects that I must attend to. But I am kinda used to this kinda "chaotic-schedule" lifestyle, but I manage it extremely well.

Is there a goal to all this playing? On some nites, yes. Mainly APA 9, APA 8 and the team I am coaching (for them, this will be definitely new to them, and would hope they will venture off on their own after their first session). I am not really looking to improve my game just probably preparing for better matches.

My questions are:
Would this be considered over doing it as in playing pool overall?
What are the drawbacks and benefits of playing this much?
Do any of you have this kinda schedule, and if so, could u provide any suggestions/comments?
By playing so much, will it compromise my current outlook on pool (like enjoyment, or worse case scenario: lack it entirely)?

And yeah, I know... it's not about quantity. Like I said, it's just how the cards fell.

Thanks in advance.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tigerallenyim said:
It appears that once the season goes full swing, I will be playing pool about six days a week. Each day that is played allows me to work on different disciplines.... I did not plan it this way, it's just the way the cards fell:

Sunday - APA 9
Monday - APA 8
Tuesday - Community league 8-ball Bar Rules
Thursday - APA 8 (Only will be captain, and managing the team, I will only play IF I have to)
Friday - Practice Drills Only
Saturday - Community tournament 8-ball Bar Rules & Practice Drills only

My concern is burning myself out. I reallly don't have much say in getting off any of the nites, with the exception of the practice drills. Yes, I do have a F/T job, along with other projects that I must attend to. But I am kinda used to this kinda "chaotic-schedule" lifestyle, but I manage it extremely well.

Is there a goal to all this playing? On some nites, yes. Mainly APA 9, APA 8 and the team I am coaching (for them, this will be definitely new to them, and would hope they will venture off on their own after their first session). I am not really looking to improve my game just probably preparing for better matches.

My questions are:
Do any of you have this kinda schedule, and if so, could u provide any suggestions/comments?
By playing so much, will it compromise my current outlook on pool (like enjoyment, or worse case scenario: lack it entirely)?

And yeah, I know... it's not about quantity. Like I said, it's just how the cards fell.

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think you should have a somewhat balanced schedule. I find I play my best pool when I do other things with my free time. I can't say I hold a "schedule". I do have league three nights a week and the nights that I don't, I usually go home. I go to the gym a few days a week and try to do SOMETHING outdoor related on weekends (biking, usually).

Some weeks, the only time I put my cue together is when I'm playing a league match. Other weeks, I'll play every day. No matter what, I only play when I want to play and keep my schedule light enough so that it never feels like a daily routine.

Probably the worst thing that you can do to your game is play when you're bored. Not only do you begin to become complacent with mediocrity but you begin to develop bad habits. Only when you're gunning to play and play great will you avoid this trap. If you think you're burning yourself out, you probably are and should lighten-up your schedule immediately. If I were you, I'd tell one of your teams that you'll show when needed, call a special someone and take them to the movies.

UWPoolGod1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tigerallenyim said:

My questions are:

I know exactly what you are going through, I also have a 50+ hr week full time job. I used to only play in bar tourneys when I moved to Vancouver but then got talked into playing in different leagues. Then my schedule went to:

Monday: APA 7 8ball
Tuesday: County Fun League
Wednesday: BCA or ACS leagues
Thursday: APA 7 8ball
Friday: Rest time
Saturday: Rest time
Sunday: 8ball bar tourney

So by the time the weekend rolled around and should be going out having fun scoping out the ladies, I would tend to want to stay home and relax. Being burned out from 5 straight nights of being out until 11-12PM and getting up at 6AM for work. Finally I put my foot down and quit APA. I had talked about it for over a year but kept getting sucked back in..."we made playoffs, you have to play", "we made regionals, you have to play", "we made nationals again, you have to play." But prior to going to Nationals this past August I let the team know that regardless of the outcome I was leaving the team. Of course I got some guff at the start of the new session but they respected my decision.

For the past month I have been in no leagues, since the BCA/ACS qualifying leagues were over, and it has been nice. Now I actually can pick and choose which nights to play, which tourneys to play and actually feel like going to the larger weekend tourneys since I am not burned out now. Actually going and practicing on the 9 footers again and loving it, now I can't wait to get a house and table.

The only thing I would recommend is cutting down your APA teams. You don't need to be on three APA 9ball teams. Play on one and you are still qualified, unless you want that many more opportunities to make Nationals. I made Tri-Cups one year with two teams from different nights and I had to switch back and forth between teams matches. Then when our teams had to play each other I could not play or coach for either, so I watched. That is alot of money every month flying away to the APA vaults when you play 3 leagues per week.

Just some thoughts....;)

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Personally, I think you should have a somewhat balanced schedule. I find I play my best pool when I do other things with my free time. I can't say I hold a "schedule". I do have league three nights a week and the nights that I don't, I usually go home. I go to the gym a few days a week and try to do SOMETHING outdoor related on weekends (biking, usually).

Some weeks, the only time I put my cue together is when I'm playing a league match. Other weeks, I'll play every day. No matter what, I only play when I want to play and keep my schedule light enough so that it never feels like a daily routine.

Probably the worst thing that you can do to your game is play when you're bored. Not only do you begin to become complacent with mediocrity but you begin to develop bad habits. Only when you're gunning to play and play great will you avoid this trap. If you think you're burning yourself out, you probably are and should lighten-up your schedule immediately. If I were you, I'd tell one of your teams that you'll show when needed, call a special someone and take them to the movies.
Thanks for the much needed reply. I guess the numbers have it. My friends and pool colleagues have told me it is a bit much. What really took the cake is the APA 8ball thursday nites. But it's really a favor for other pool colleagues as they never really played APA, and there were always interested. I really can't say no, but I did tell them that it's only for this session only, and hopefully one of them will take over the team so I can take a much needed break.

I will definitely keep in mind of the "bored" factor.
And ur correct.... i do need to ask a special someone out for the movies thing.

Thanks.

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
UWPoolGod1 said:
I know exactly what you are going through, I also have a 50+ hr week full time job. I used to only play in bar tourneys when I moved to Vancouver but then got talked into playing in different leagues. Then my schedule went to:

Monday: APA 7 8ball
Tuesday: County Fun League
Wednesday: BCA or ACS leagues
Thursday: APA 7 8ball
Friday: Rest time
Saturday: Rest time
Sunday: 8ball bar tourney

So by the time the weekend rolled around and should be going out having fun scoping out the ladies, I would tend to want to stay home and relax. Being burned out from 5 straight nights of being out until 11-12PM and getting up at 6AM for work. Finally I put my foot down and quit APA. I had talked about it for over a year but kept getting sucked back in..."we made playoffs, you have to play", "we made regionals, you have to play", "we made nationals again, you have to play." But prior to going to Nationals this past August I let the team know that regardless of the outcome I was leaving the team. Of course I got some guff at the start of the new session but they respected my decision.

For the past month I have been in no leagues, since the BCA/ACS qualifying leagues were over, and it has been nice. Now I actually can pick and choose which nights to play, which tourneys to play and actually feel like going to the larger weekend tourneys since I am not burned out now. Actually going and practicing on the 9 footers again and loving it, now I can't wait to get a house and table.

The only thing I would recommend is cutting down your APA teams. You don't need to be on three APA 9ball teams. Play on one and you are still qualified, unless you want that many more opportunities to make Nationals. I made Tri-Cups one year with two teams from different nights and I had to switch back and forth between teams matches. Then when our teams had to play each other I could not play or coach for either, so I watched. That is alot of money every month flying away to the APA vaults when you play 3 leagues per week.

Just some thoughts....;)
Exactly. I somehow got sucked in. For the moment when this new session begins, I will play it out for now. But I did tell them after that, it's going to be all up in the air.

I do forget sometimes I have a choice, and of course, never take for granted for what i've got.

Thanks!

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say it is fine to play every night of the week - for awhile or a season. Then next season maybe cut back a little or do what you feel like.

What I have found to be most helpful for my game is to mix leagues and money tournaments. So APA league, BCA league (if you have this in your area), and also "anyone can enter money tournaments".

It seems to me the best players are at the "anyone can enter money tournaments". The very best players are at the "BCA rules - anyone can enter money tournaments".

With money tournaments, you can go or not go. You don't have to be there like with league. And if you want to leave early, you can suddenly not play so well.

I have decided to not play in anymore "bar rules" tournaments. Most of these have no posted written rules, change the rules depending on who shows up, and thinking or strategy (safeties) is considered cheating!

I would suggest dumping the bar rules league/tournaments and adding a BCA league and BCA rules money tournaments. Around here we had some bar rules money tournaments which had been going on for years. Many times *everybody* playing preferred BCA rules, yet we still kept playing by bar rules! One day someone asked everyone if they wanted to switch to BCA rules and most players said yes. (A couple of players put up a big squawk, but these were beginners.)

Anyway a lot less problems now with the BCA rules. The rules are written and are there for everyone to see. They do not change. Safeties are of course allowed. This is more fair to all players.

Get BCA rule books here...
https://www.bcastore.com/product_info.php?products_id=118

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
Billy_Bob said:
I say it is fine to play every night of the week - for awhile or a season. Then next season maybe cut back a little or do what you feel like.

What I have found to be most helpful for my game is to mix leagues and money tournaments. So APA league, BCA league (if you have this in your area), and also "anyone can enter money tournaments".

It seems to me the best players are at the "anyone can enter money tournaments". The very best players are at the "BCA rules - anyone can enter money tournaments".

With money tournaments, you can go or not go. You don't have to be there like with league. And if you want to leave early, you can suddenly not play so well.

I have decided to not play in anymore "bar rules" tournaments. Most of these have no posted written rules, change the rules depending on who shows up, and thinking or strategy (safeties) is considered cheating!

I would suggest dumping the bar rules league/tournaments and adding a BCA league and BCA rules money tournaments. Around here we had some bar rules money tournaments which had been going on for years. Many times *everybody* playing preferred BCA rules, yet we still kept playing by bar rules! One day someone asked everyone if they wanted to switch to BCA rules and most players said yes. (A couple of players put up a big squawk, but these were beginners.)

Anyway a lot less problems now with the BCA rules. The rules are written and are there for everyone to see. They do not change. Safeties are of course allowed. This is more fair to all players.

Get BCA rule books here...
https://www.bcastore.com/product_info.php?products_id=118
Yeah, after this session definitely quitting these bar room rule league and tourneys. For some reason, it affects my confidence level. But have been talking with the league operator of these bar room rules which we have been working more closer together. I suggested to him to fine tune his rules, cuz it leaves too much room for loopholes. He will think about it. But either way, i think i will cut those out entirely. Hopefully I won't get too much heat for doing so... most people in my community really expects me to be on every season.

Slider

S.F. Bay Area
Silver Member
tigerallenyim said:
It appears that once the season goes full swing, I will be playing pool about six days a week. Each day that is played allows me to work on different disciplines.... I did not plan it this way, it's just the way the cards fell:...

Six days of pool shouldn't cause burnout, but the obligation of having to show up every week on a particular night for league play is just unworkable with my schedule, and my psyche.

When I was playing a lot, I would make 4 or 5 USPPA and/or NPL nine ball tournaments a week. That way, if I was tired, or some other obligation came up I was able to take a night off with no pressure. There was usually some light-duty one pocket action or a 9-ball ring game after the tournaments, so I was able to get a lot of table time in each week. I also enjoyed the occasional open D/E 9-ball tournaments, because I found that I would concentrate and bear down better playing "even" against superior players instead of playing the handicaps in NPL & USPPA.

I've had people ask me to play on their teams in 8-ball leagues, but even if I didn't have an irregular work schedule, having to play in a league every week on a particular night would eventually seem like a job instead of fun like it should be. I went through that with bowling when I was younger and don't want to do it again.

Ken