Pool psychology & biomechanics

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've spent a lot of time studying the mathematics and physics of pool. While that is vaguely useful to a handful of players, it's mostly just a delightful waste of time. On the other hand, psychology and biomechanics are very neglected in our sport, but probably much more useful. Now that I'm back in the real world for a while, away from my other passion--rock climbing--I thought I'd post links in this thread to items in those fields as I find them.

Feel free to add your own.

A good start is this one on emotions from NYC Grind:

http://www.nycgrind.com/the-latest/emotion-play-rest/

P.S.: You have an open invite to climb with me if you are in Kentucky...you might have to sign a Bob-didn't-cause-my-death waver, look at gory photos, and listen to the story about my fall, and the experimental surgery that let me walk (and climb) after 4 months in a wheelchair. *grin*

Last edited:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've spent a lot of time studying the mathematics and physics of pool. While that is vaguely useful to a handful of players, it's mostly just a delightful waste of time. On the other hand, psychology and biomechanics are very neglected in our sport, but probably much more useful. Now that I'm back in the real world for a while, away from my other passion--rock climbing--I thought I'd post links in this thread to items in those fields as I find them.

Feel free to add your own.

A good start is this one on emotions from NYC Grind:

http://www.nycgrind.com/the-latest/emotion-play-rest/

P.S.: You have an open invite to climb with me if you are in Kentucky...you might have to sign a Bob-didn't-cause-my-death waver, look at gory photos, and listen to the story about my fall, and the experimental surgery that let me walk (and climb) after 4 months in a wheelchair. *grin*

Thanks Bob good read. But in pool i'd say discipline, experience, and advance knowledge is the determining factor. It is one's ability to judge correctly his skill, and know percentages play of weather to play safe or go for a hard shot. This only can be developed with experience regardless of the mental state, i'd say Dennis O seem to have better discipline than others from all aspects, aiming, stance, shots decisions, it probably come with age too!!

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My summary of the article:

They divided the groups into three categories, expert, intermediate, and novice. As suspected, no significant differences in eyesight among the three groups. The differences were as follows:

Expert: able to deliver the cue straighter than the other two groups, and went as you expected with novices as the bottom.

Able to control the speed of the cb better, able to control the speed of the ob a little better than intermediates, both a ways better than the novices.

Experts better at defining patterns and recognizing known shots.

Experts better at choosing the correct shot for the situation.

Essentially, no surprises. I do disagree with what they said needs more instruction because of the lack of it, but they were talking about snooker, not American pool. Here, the stroke is stressed, then when you have shown improvement with that, speed control, and then pattern play. Same things instructors here teach. So, I guess I didn't see any new and surprising results from their tests. Cool that someone did them though.

Did you mean to post this to different thread?

Without testing, we're just guessing.

Last edited:

smmendes

Undoubtedly, psychology and biomechanics are very neglected and useful for pool.

I often read articles about Tennis, Golf and Martial Arts that are highly developed in these two fields.

Some top pool players play Tennis, Golf or practice Martial Arts to improve their physical abilities (stroke and stance) and some Poker to improve their mental skills.

Didn't was Ronnie Alcano the first to have a sports psychologist?
And if it is a sport of repetition, isn't it important to know how the forces and body's kinematic chains work?

I think there must be the passion of being a student of the game but at the same time don't take it too seriously.

By this i mean that there a lot of layers and sub-layers in biomechanics (avoid to much information) and taking it in competition a bit like training/dancing (like in martial arts).

There are no simple formulas to understand the game, yet keep it simple.

P.S. I am not a psychologist or physicist, sensei or teacher. I just love this game.

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing, Bob. A couple of key items addressed in the article are visualization and the re-direction of negative cognitions. Visualization is a key factor enhancing focus, while building muscle memory.

I can provide an example of re-directing negative cognition. I was working with a golfer, who reported that he would often get derailed and sabatoge an otherwise decent round when he would become irritated with a shot. I had him imagine hitting a shot into the trees and then instead of negatively focusing on the outcome, to reframe it as an opportunity. That is, as he "approached" the shot it was suggested he see it as an opportunity to practice a recovery shot (e.g., choking down on a 5 iron and "punching it out" to the fairway).

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always liked George Fels' concise, but sage advice (to be found among the many gems in his BD article "101 ways to improve your game":

Learn to observe your game, without judging it.

Arnaldo

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two quotes from the golfer, Jack Nicklaus:

Ask yourself how many shots you would have saved if you never lost your temper, never got down on yourself, always developed a strategy before you hit, and always played within your own capabilities.

The game is meant to be fun.