Poolhall Junkies

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I just watched Poolhall Junkies last night! I think it was a pretty good pool movie over all. It displayed what happens when you hustle and when you get hustled. It had a decent plot, but did have a few minor defects.
a) since when does a 13th ranked pro use a Cuetec/Excaliber with a fiberglass shaft? (maybe its part of the hustle)
b) in 9ball you usually have to shoot the balls in sequence.

I am still trying to find out what kind of cues were used in this movie. What was Chas using when he beat Rick?

All in all I give it a thumbs up!

...Zim

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
i thought the ending was stupid....why the hell would he 'stop' the ball for position for the eight.....such a retarded mistake.....his exact words were i think "Shit, i Can't beleive this" Can't beleive wut? he hit the damn q-ball low wut does he expect to happen.
Mike mAssey was there and i didn't see one good trick shot in this movie.

Zims Rack

Silver Member
Well, IMO I think the reason he stopped the 8 was to be able to "play the hustler role" and play a safety, just could be!! Mike Massey was not there to display any trick shots, I don't recall St Louie Louie being a trick shot artist, but I could be wrong!

...Zim

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
Personally, I liked the movie. The plot was a bit lame and the film quality was not so good but over all it wasn't too bad. I would watch it again.

My personal opinion, is that if they had named the movie something other then "Pool Hall Junkies" the movie might have done better. Pool Hall and Junkies all in one name sounds like a drug movie in a bad neighborhood to me.

I think that the sales of it will do much better on the net and at billiard shows.

I also thought that they should have used Mikes name instead of the stage name they gave him. They used LeBlanc's real name, why not Mikes?

Eydie Romano

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
If they didn't have Chaz and Walkins, this movie would have been alot worse. I liked the movie, acting was ok except for the girlfriend, found her lame. Plus there were a few catchy phrases that i liked. :D

Zims Rack

Silver Member
and the HUSTLES they used were pretty good! The last one that was used on the 9 ball shot is perfect!

...Zim

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
Without Chaz and Walkin there would not have been a movie. I also think they made the movie. The girl was Allison Eastwood, Clint's daughter.
And as Zim said, the hustle at the end was the best!

I just found out there was a real St. Louie Louie, (Louie Robertson) but I have no idea why they had Massey play him. Robertson passed away several years back.

Eydie Romano

Having Massey play himslef would have been much better.

Warren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zims Rack said:
I just watched Poolhall Junkies last night! I think it was a pretty good pool movie over all. It displayed what happens when you hustle and when you get hustled. It had a decent plot, but did have a few minor defects.
a) since when does a 13th ranked pro use a Cuetec/Excaliber with a fiberglass shaft? (maybe its part of the hustle)
b) in 9ball you usually have to shoot the balls in sequence.

I am still trying to find out what kind of cues were used in this movie. What was Chas using when he beat Rick?

All in all I give it a thumbs up!

...Zim

personally, i liked the movie too, and i have watched it countless times now. the cue that johnny (mars) used at the end (it is also featured at the beginning when the intro takes place before they show johnny as a kid) is a southwest! you might have noticed their logo in the background a few times in the movie too. they were one of the sponsors (they are listed in the credits).

warren..

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
Zims Rack said:

well wuts funny about this is that it's in a guitar case....geez, couldn't they find a simple cue case and they had to improvise with a guitar case. Damn

B

Billiardboys

Here's some little-known info about Poolhall Junkies...

The DVD will be finally released on September 2nd, after three major delays that pushed back the street date. The last delay was because the DVD cover artwork that HBO designed was completely rejected by the movie studio and the lead actors. It was re-designed based on the original version-A poster art.

Walken enjoyed making the film, but he was almost unavailable for promotion when it was scheduled to hit theaters. He was planning to leave the country for a while, but he stayed in the US to attend the Oscars when he received the nomination for his role in "Catch Me if You Can".

We (Billiard Boys) produced five one-of-a-kind deluxe black Poolhall Junkies wool & leather jackets that were personally given to the actors right before the screening in Hollywood in February. Mars, Chazz, Rick, Michael, and Alison, each jacket personalized with their name, and a large PHJ logo embroidered on the back (in a cool black-on-black effect). They were all impressed and thankful; Chazz told his agent that he wanted his jacket framed.

Mars Callahan was unfortunately hospitalized around the time of the movie release, so he missed out on the promotion of the film. In June he spent time in the sound studio working on audio commentary for the DVD with co-writer Chris Corso. At the same time Mars also worked on a "cleaned-up" version of the film for airlines, for showing as an in-flight movie (I'm unsure if it ever did). He apparently was very skilled at imitating the voices of Walken and Palminteri while re-mixing that "PG" version.

While the film was being considered for cross-promotion late last year, the studio had a tentative deal with Coca-Cola for a major ad campaign, but ONLY IF they could scale down the movie to at least a "PG-13" rating. (Coke has a policy against cross-promotion with rated "R" films). To get a PG-13 rating from the MPAA, a film can have only ONE instance with the "f" word and it "must not be used in context". So the PHJ project heads sat down and watched Poolhall Junkies again, and started counting that word to see if it would be possible to clean it up. Well, they finally stopped counting at 150 and the film was still not even halfway through, so it wasn't going to happen.

Poolhall Junkies is well known in the Billiards community, but it's virtually unknown in the movie community. The DVD is considered a "loss-leader" by the distributor, so a VERY LIMITED PRODUCTION is scheduled. A fair comparison for this low-budget movie would be to look at other similar marketed films from the same studio. Ever heard of "Sonny", or "The Man From Elysian Fields"? These recent films had similar budgets and marketing, and were released to DVD in the same way; see if you can find them at your video store...

The DVD is now available for pre-order on our website: www.billiardboys.com If you order before August 5th you're GUARANTEED to get a copy; all orders after then will be filled by the distributor on a first-come, first-served basis. When they sell out, sometimes backorders take 20-30 days to fill. All Poolhall Junkies DVDs purchased on our site will come with a free quarter-sheet version-A poster.

Does anyone have any interesting facts about production of the film in Salt Lake City?

-- Darren M., Billiard Boys L.L.C.