porper model B lathe

venison-slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this lathe is from a cue maker that's not making cues anymore $3500.00 pick up only 034.jpg

033.jpg

032.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butt taper bar, northern WI

Good morning
Allow me to help. That taper bar looks like the standard bar from Mr. Porper. Which means it should have two channel's. The channel to the rear was for shaft taper and the one closest to the chuck is for butt taper.
The model B had 2 designs for the feed table. This concerns the feed screw. The first design had 1 brass gear riding on the feed screw. To the right was a solid brass block with just a hole in it to act as an idler. Not good because the feed screw would cut into it and bind. I re-designed it and Joe made the change to all future B models. I eliminated the solid block and made an actual idler gear using the same kind of gear that rides the feed screw. Only the right side utilized a spring underneath for pressure.
Hope this helps.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
porper b

so is this the earlier model that binds or is this the improved model it looks older?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other helpful info.
All of the switches and motors are available on line.
The Pc boards (2) are made and available thru Minarik electric. Control panel division in California. They had the original contract for the electricals. I couldn't post any of this while Joe was open due to loyalty.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
do you know what year Joe made this improvement to the lathe? also I'm not the one selling I'm just considering what value this lathe has
thanks

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
If you look at the bearings on the feed table you will see the steel rings that show that this is one of the last models made ... it has replaceable bearings on the feed table and the tailstock. ... older models did not have bearings.
I don't know where the bearings could be bought if you ever wore them out and needed replacement but I would hazard a guess they are obtainable somewhere.

Last edited:
Other helpful info.
All of the switches and motors are available on line.
The Pc boards (2) are made and available thru Minarik electric. Control panel division in California. They had the original contract for the electricals. I couldn't post any of this while Joe was open due to loyalty.

Hey Michael, where can I get a replacement motor?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Hi Mark
I don't remember the companies name but I found the motor in Baltimore by typing the leeson motor info off the plate. It was a couple of years ago.

Any clue on part a number for the Potentiometer feed screw speed control on the Porper B lathe or the specs of it. I bought one to try and it wont operate it. The old one still works but is just about worn out..

SFC9ball

Jim Baker PBIA Master Instructor
Silver Member
Hey Michael, where can I get a replacement motor?

Meullers has some motors, I had to replace mine a few months back. My original motor had a square face on it with the screw holes and the one they sent me was round.

I just made a bracket for it and mounted it and it works great. to replace my motor with leeson was going to cost a lot more than the motor I got from Meullers.

After I had done all of that I found out that maybe something simple like brushes needed to be replaced.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any clue on part a number for the Potentiometer feed screw speed control on the Porper B lathe or the specs of it. I bought one to try and it wont operate it. The old one still works but is just about worn out..

All the parts I found were on line searched. Just from the numbers on the parts. I haven't had to replace that one yet.

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike , you sure know alot about the Model B.......................Ray Weeks