practice, practice, practice

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately I've been practicing straight pool. Since I'm still working with shoulder problems I started very slowly running the same low number of minimum number of balls from a break shot 5 days a week and am bumping it up a very small amount each week. I start each run saying that I need X number of balls to win the match on this run and play to get those balls. Since I'm not playing any matches with real people I figure this is a little more like trying to close a real match than just trying to run as many as possible.

My question is has anyone practiced this way, how did it work for you, and how far did you get in relation to your previous high run when you started?

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Sounds like a good way to practice. I have, and still do sometimes, play the ghost in my own way for practice. I play the ghost to 100, I start with a breakball to open the rack, if I don't run 15 then the ghost gets 15 points and I rack again and set up another breakball. But my runs can continue beyond 15, and I get that number when my inning is done onto my score.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
unknownpro said:
Lately I've been practicing straight pool. Since I'm still working with shoulder problems I started very slowly running the same low number of minimum number of balls from a break shot 5 days a week and am bumping it up a very small amount each week. I start each run saying that I need X number of balls to win the match on this run and play to get those balls. Since I'm not playing any matches with real people I figure this is a little more like trying to close a real match than just trying to run as many as possible.

My question is has anyone practiced this way, how did it work for you, and how far did you get in relation to your previous high run when you started?

The way I practice is to try to pocket 200 balls in the fewest innings possible. In other words I keep track of my misses rather than balls that I run.

What I like about this drill is that you are focusing on your average run rather than a high run, which I think is more important IMO.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cameron Smith said:
The way I practice is to try to pocket 200 balls in the fewest innings possible. In other words I keep track of my misses rather than balls that I run.

What I like about this drill is that you are focusing on your average run rather than a high run, which I think is more important IMO.

I like that.