Practicing 6 basic position shots,over and over again.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have picked 6 main shots, that come up often in my game. I started bypassing other shots and drills for a while, and just started hitting these 6 shots. After 4 rounds of hitting the 6 shots, I play a ghost ball game, then another round of the 6 shots. I just keep hitting those 6 shots, and they are becoming automatic for me. my 6 shots are not hard shots, but they were easy to miss for me. But now I’m getting good confidence when one of my 6 shots come up. My shots:
1- basic long stop shot
2- stop shot, object ball in the middle of the table, cue ball 4 inched from the short rail.
3- 3 rail shot, going around the table and almost scratching in the lower left pocket.
4- draw shot, object ball on the long rail, bringing the object ball off the opposite long rail. ( low left)
5- long rail cut shot, object ball just pass the side pocket, cue ball close to the other long rail.
6- frozen object ball on the long rail, 2nd diamond, using draw to bring the cue ball back past the opposite side pocket.

i Have not unlocked any special secrets, nor discovered anything, just posting what is working for me. What would your 6 shots be?😎

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lolllll your absolutely right. I totally forgot about old Bert. He was the first guy I sent money to rent his tapes when I first started. Took me quite a while to get a few of his shots. And now 2.5 years later, I’m still doing berts shotmaking rountine.

I definitely was not trying to Plagiarize old Bert. Farthest thing from my mind. But with so many guys on you tube, showing there training and instructional videos, my mind gets blurred.

I will send Bert another 10 bucks to rent the shotmakers video. I’m late to this game, but I would have loved to buy Bert a beer if I would have met him at a expo.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
judochoke ain’t a baby anymore. Judos ready to hit the ground running.
give me a couple of games on the wire, the break and ball in hand, 9 ball, race to 5, judochoke is in.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone post a link to that diagram pool table? I'll take a shot and try to diagram mine.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. I'm just familiarizing myself with ChalkySticks but this would be the first of my 6 shots that I would consider essential for myself. Getting the cb back to the center of the table when there is very little angle and you have a small pocket because the ob is close to the rail.

Shot 1.png

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that’s a great shot. I just saw that shot in a Facebook match. I had never really thought of shooting that shot to get back to the middle of the table. Just a touch of high left?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that’s a great shot. I just saw that shot in a Facebook match. I had never really thought of shooting that shot to get back to the middle of the table. Just a touch of high left?
You might need more than a touch of left, which is why it's a tricky shot, because then you risk missing the shot. I left it open because it really depends on what it looks like as you get down into your shooting stance. I'll post more shots over the next few days. It took me a little while to get acclimated to the table diagram. I'm still learning.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might need more than a touch of left, which is why it's a tricky shot, because then you risk missing the shot. I left it open because it really depends on what it looks like as you get down into your shooting stance. I'll post more shots over the next few days. It took me a little while to get acclimated to the table diagram. I'm still learning.

agreed..nice shot, fran
it only looks like a touch of left to me, gotta shoot it tho!
will try it tonight

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
it only looks like a touch of left to me
Good shot to practice, for sure.

I find it easy to overdo the side on it, sending the CB too far cross table. You have to hit it pretty firmly too, since you're depending almost solely on follow to get distance.

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good shot to practice, for sure.

I find it easy to overdo the side on it, sending the CB too far cross table. You have to hit it pretty firmly too, since you're depending almost solely on follow to get distance.

pj
chgo
right..feels good to hit this shot firm anyway
and as fran said, more left, shot difficulty goes up

I think the goal here is to not scratch in the corner.

pj
chgo

/get on the nine😋
I agree tho, the corner is a consideration
I figured out a way to take the corner out of play
but for me getting the speed right was a trick
I feel like I could get a better angle going into the nine
haven't quite cracked it yet

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
/get on the nine😋
I agree tho, the corner is a consideration
I figured out a way to take the corner out of play
but for me getting the speed right was a trick
I feel like I could get a better angle going into the nine
haven't quite cracked it yet
Actually, the corner's pretty easy to avoid - it's getting nice on the 9 that's hard. Looks like you either have to punch it off the end rail or go 2-3 rails at awkward angles. I'm punching it, probably with a Touch of CJ.

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, the corner's pretty easy to avoid - it's getting nice on the 9 that's hard. Looks like you either have to punch it off the end rail or go 2-3 rails at awkward angles. I'm punching it, probably with a Touch of CJ.

pj
chgo
I recall using more than a "touch," but yep..and bring the rock back towards whence it came
I figure you could end up under the nine and still be ok, but don't want to be behind it

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what I did to make that rectangle show up in the middle of the table but I couldn't get rid of it so I left it there. I consider this an essential shot because at first glance, it doesn't seem possible, and it's a good reminder to me that what appears at the surface isn't always true. I like to practice this because it requires a pretty close to perfect kill shot stroke.
Shot 2.png

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here's one I was playing with last night..eight to the nine
I think you have two options here. The first is to slam it with center ball stun and let the cb slide to the top rail and straight back down for position on the 9, or soft roll it into the side and take the slightly difficult shot on the 9. If you had just a little more angle, then a lot more options would open up. Good shot to practice.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is a great example of "enhancing" side spin with a low hit. The speed wears off faster than the side spin, increasing the spin-to-speed ratio and the angle change off the rail - maximum effect at stun-runthrough speed, perfect for short shape shots like this.

The "drag" hit also maximizes swerve, so aiming it takes some practice.

pj
chgo

Last edited: