Predator 314 Pre Cat Ferrule

cuehobby

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has anyone replaced a 314 pre cat ferrule?
Just wondering if it requires a 1/4” or 5/16”
TIA

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I would recommend taking length measurements, then, while machining the old one off, measure the cap thickness. make sure to clean the glue off. I believe it is more of a .390 tenon. I always custom size the ferrule to the tenon on those. Also, should use either isoplast or tomahawk, otherwise it will split over time due to the thin wall design.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I just removed a tip from a 314 and found this under the tip.. There was no vault plate.

1718219448598.png

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, this guy bought it used and brought it to me for a new tip and shaft finish cleanup
More common than you might think.
I have a couple in my area that cut them off. ON PURPOSE!
One use to be the OB shafts with the wooden ferrule.
I just smiled when the ferrules cracked and said
Thank you

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
More common than you might think.
I have a couple in my area that cut them off. ON PURPOSE!
One use to be the OB shafts with the wooden ferrule.
I just smiled when the ferrules cracked and said
Thank you

Thanks Micheal, as usual!!

Questions :

What the heck is that crap in the center? It is somewhat soft and fibrous, but feels a bit "plasticy". I assume the black ring is either carbon or phenolic. The ferrule looks to be phenolic given the pattern in it.

If I don't put a plate down, the tip has a greatly reduced glue contact area. On the other hand, with a plate, the tip will have full contact area but the plate itself will have the reduced contact area with the cue.

Also, this ferrule seems shorter than the other 314 cues I've worked on.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The foam filler fills the empty space made for lower deflection. Like the hollow carbon fiber shafts.
I’ve done the 314 and the OBs are similar. I made new capped ferrules out of Tomahawk. Use what you like.

View attachment 762630

View attachment 762631

I like this approach. I'll make that happen. Thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought about replacing the ferrule as part of this simple tip replacement but your solution makes more sense and I will feel better about the repair.

THANKS!