Predator Break Speed App

pk249

Registered
Could somebody please tell me what the rack settings on the right and left hand side of the attached image from the Predator Break Speed app are used for please. These settings appear to be independent of one another i.e. both can be changed separately. Thank you.

Attachments

• 09406E2F-CC32-4121-913E-10D47D9445FD.jpeg
    09406E2F-CC32-4121-913E-10D47D9445FD.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 154

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The eight ball rack can be changed depending on whether you're using a head ball hit, or a second ball hit

The nine ball rack can be changed depending on whether the 1 ball is on the head spot, or the nine is on the head spot.

pk249

Registered
Ah, thank you, I just couldn’t understand how you could set the 8-ball rack for a first ball hit whilst at the same time spotting the 9 ball instead of the 1 in a 9-ball rack, which would therefore bring the one ball closer to the head string, reducing the distance between the cue ball and the object ball. It seemed a bit inconsistent to me, however I might be over thinking things.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what it's supposed to do anyway. I'm not convinced that it is completely correct. I have to study it.

The question is, how does the app know whether you're playing 8 Ball with a head ball break? Or 9 ball with the 9 on the spot? There would be a 2 ball difference there. And it does not appear you can choose between one game or the other. You can make changes on both rack symbols, but nothing to indicate which one you are using.

The best, most accurate way do you use this app is to get a tape measure, measure the distance from your cue ball 2 the target, and set the app to custom distance.

Last edited:

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, is there an instruction manual for the predator break speed application?
Thanks.

There is a web site with limited information. It's linked in the app on the information screen. FAQ is here. The support tab provides email contact information, however, the app store provides a different support contact... I haven't seen detailed instructions

With regards to. 8-ball or 9-ball rack, I've believed the last one and position selected is what it uses. I assumed the red ball not moving between the two racks was a bug.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a web site with limited information. It's linked in the app on the information screen. FAQ is here. The support tab provides email contact information, however, the app store provides a different support contact... I haven't seen detailed instructions

With regards to. 8-ball or 9-ball rack, I've believed the last one and position selected is what it uses. I assumed the red ball not moving between the two racks was a bug.
I'll look at your link, I also discovered the most important functions while having fun with them too.
Thank You Very Much!

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Could somebody please tell me what the rack settings on the right and left hand side of the attached image from the Predator Break Speed app are used for please. These settings appear to be independent of one another i.e. both can be changed separately. Thank you.

What kind of speeds are people seeing in this app? It would be interesting to see the range and what the upper 10% of folks are getting..

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of speeds are people seeing in this app? It would be interesting to see the range and what the upper 10% of folks are getting..
Oh my, now you’ve done it.

That’s like asking people on a golf forum how far they hit their driver. Most of them claim numbers that put them just a little bit longer than Tiger Woods… 😁

On a 9 foot table, I usually get somewhere around 17 mph for my stock 9-ball break. I fully expect that to be the lowest number reported in this thread! 😂

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't matter what your top speed is. It is a tool to see how consistent your break speed is. Find a speed where you are hitting accurately and making balls. Try to match that speed.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what you top speed is. It is a tool to see how consistent your break speed is. Find a speed where you are hitting accurately and making balls. Try to match that speed.
That's how I used the app as well. Looking for consistent break speed as I increased weight (averaged multiple breaks before moving on). As always, Dr. Dave has great material on this. Here

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I used it to see how speed changes with cue weight. I've got guys on my league with break cues from 18oz all the way up to 27oz.

CanadianGuy

the app shows me at 15-17mph, this is the max speed to which I can control the cue ball
I would love to be in the low 20's with the same cue ball control

two different pros I was practicing with were hitting them as hard as they could and were at 24-25, with poor cueball placement

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First test today, my normal break speed average around 19 mph and my hardest one 26.96, we had a lot of fun, everyone wanted to know their speed

CanadianGuy

FWIW, you can easily increase speeds by wrist strengthening via regular use of hand grips

i got into the mid 20's using the grips for a couple months, could not hold the cue ball to save my life though

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the hardest break in my pool room and before trying it i was thinking no problem for 25mph and probably even 30mph might be possible, but here i can say that the extra mph can be very hard to get from 27 to 30 o_O