Predator P2: all hype or the read deal?

ashmouth

Registered Offender
I noticed quite a few top local players using Predator P2's and was wondering what you forum folks thought about it. Is this thing all hype or does this cue play dramatically better than other cues as some people suggest?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ashmouth said:
I noticed quite a few top local players using Predator P2's and was wondering what you forum folks thought about it. Is this thing all hype or does this cue play dramatically better than other cues as some people suggest?

I own it and like it a lot. I can't say it's dramatically different than other Predators but I'm perfectly happy with it and have no interest in changing cues any time soon.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
I had a friend who bought one. (The original all-black version) He finally sold it and his other Predator cues and shafts and bought a custom cue from Kerry Zieler with "regular" shafts. He plays better IMHO with the Zyler cue and prefers the feel, but neither of us are Pro-level players so that is a very relative statement.

I tried his P2 for a while before he sold it and to me it felt just like most other cues with Preadator shafts I've hit with. I don't like the hollow feel of the Predator shaft so it was not attractive to me. If you like a Predator shaft then it's a question of if you like the design and price of the P2 cues. To me they seem very expensive for what they are, although I admit I prefer the P2 design over most of the other fancy cues Predator sell under their brand name.

Personally I wanted to move to using Predator technology I would have a shaft blank fitted to a butt made by a good custom cue maker.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I don't know, I've tried quite a few Predators and the regular ones don't feel as good as the P2. P2 has a sort of more solid feel and lacks the extra hollow feel of a Predator. P2 has still some hollowness but it's considerably less than on a normal model.

And no, I don't particularly like Predator, no problems aiming with english but the hollowness makes me lose the cueball and I always get too much spin...

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
You may see this comment as not relevant to your question but it is food for thought. Do not spend to much of your mental energy thinking about your cue. Think about your stroke and feeling your speed control. If you do you will improve far beyond what any cue can do for you.

Hope this helps,
Marcus

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
I had a friend who bought one. (The original all-black version) He finally sold it and his other Predator cues and shafts and bought a custom cue from Kerry Zieler with "regular" shafts. He plays better IMHO with the Zyler cue and prefers the feel, but neither of us are Pro-level players so that is a very relative statement.

I tried his P2 for a while before he sold it and to me it felt just like most other cues with Preadator shafts I've hit with. I don't like the hollow feel of the Predator shaft so it was not attractive to me. If you like a Predator shaft then it's a question of if you like the design and price of the P2 cues. To me they seem very expensive for what they are, although I admit I prefer the P2 design over most of the other fancy cues Predator sell under their brand name.

Personally I wanted to move to using Predator technology I would have a shaft blank fitted to a butt made by a good custom cue maker.

How long did your friend have to wait for his new Zylr cue?
I know that they hit great and was just curious.

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
played with a no wrap Predator sneaky Pete for a year and a half. Then I purchased a black, no wrap P2. I immediately felt and can still feel a difference between the two. The P2 feels noticeably more solid. I don’t know if it plays any better but it feels better to me.

I have been playing with the P2 for almost two years now. However, I find myself wanting a new cue that is more decorative than the plain black butt. I have the money and the knowledge to purchase a quality custom cue that would meet my specifications. I have already picked out the Josey that I want to order. But I just can’t do it. Why? I don’t need it. The P2 feels good and plays good so I can’t justify buying another cue based solely on my dissatisfaction with the cues appearance. (So I spent my money on Pool School and that was the best decision I have made in a long time.)

So… beware… if you purchase a plain black P2, you might fall in love with the hit. Then it will be very difficult to justify a change when you tire of the plain black looks. But, I must admit that it is nice to not stress over the dents and dings that can occur on league night. I think I might stress out leaving my fancy custom cue around my clumsy teammates.

If money is no object, go for the custom. If you want a great hitting reasonably priced cue that you don’t have to worry about, get a black P2. Then spend some money on lessons. You won’t regret it!

JW

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Very solid hit!

I feel a noticable difference from the usual Predators. I switched from a stiff hitting cue to the P2 about a year ago and I really love it. It feels especially solid with the bar table cue ball. I really think it has a bit too much give for the the big table cue ball though. Since I almost never play on a 9-footer, it was a perfect fit for me. Just my thoughts.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
dogginda9 said:
I really think it has a bit too much give for the the big table cue ball though.

Are you saying that it is too "whippy"? If so, that's the first time I've ever heard that said about a Predator.