Prep of Sub-Rail

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Hey Guys,
I am curious how other mechanics prep the sub-rail before putting on cushions. Do you use any solvents to help remove old glue and rubber? Do you sand with belt sander or hand block? Do you use a tool to scrape? You get the idea. I want others to share so we all can learn. Like this forum should be.

LCCS

Silver Member
rails

I use goo gone and a scraper. Some times i come across rails that have been glued with elmers glue and i have no choice, but to break out the belt sander.
Ron

PoolTable911

Silver Member
LCCS said:
I use goo gone and a scraper. Some times i come across rails that have been glued with elmers glue and i have no choice, but to break out the belt sander.
Ron
Ron,
Thanks for posting. Do you use the goo gone and wait to glue the wood or does it not effect the contact adhesive? What kind of adhesive do you use? I recently used the 3M Scotch-Weld Neoprene Contact Adhesive 10. It worked awesome.

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
Cleaning Sub-rails

When I did mine of course it was the first time for me. I used adhesive remover which seems to be very much like furniture stripper. Then I used denatured alcohol which I used to use after furniture stripper when stripping furniture. The denatured alcohol will neutralize the adhesive remover and evaporate pretty quickly.

Then I took a belt sander to the sub-rails which when checked with a straight edge was a little too aggressive. The belt sander would take off material on the ends very quickly. Now this was not real bad, in fact, just looking at it with the naked eye it looked fine but it was not perfect checked with a straight edge. This was not a big issue for me as I was doing sub-rail extensions. So, after the extensions were on I filled behind them with bondo and then sanded everything until it was flush. In the future I would probably recommend just a hand block.

OTLB

Banned
I will start with saying this, On GC 3 and above you should fill the cavity of the floating nut and sand smooth so down the road it will hold better. One of my tricks you might say. Can't you always tell when the ball hits that spot on the rail,(flub) starts to loosen there alot. Ok everybody jump on it.

The other thing I didn't see in previous posts is that you need to use a respirator even if in a well ventilated area(which means not the persons house). You should also look at the MSDS sheet for whatever product your using. Keep your respirator in a closed bag when not in use.

When you look at the MSDS sheet(available online) you aint gonna like it and if your customers ever look at it you could be in trouble(big) for using it in their house. Probably a good thing for me to mention on my website now that I am thinking about it.

People will appreciate you taking them back to your shop(more money for you) and I don't know who mentioned something about telling old guys in a senior center that this glue is toxic or whatever and they couldn't watch was joking but it aint no joke.

Glue is BAD for you!!!!!!!!!!! real bad!!!! and is usually the case, the better its works the worse it is for you. My brother was President of the NATIONAL Safety Council in this country and worked for P+G in charge of HEALTH and when he saw the glue I was using he told me all about it.

Don't wait until your old to know its bad for you, READ the MSDS sheets on whatever you use. They are also updated once a year.

Last edited:

LCCS

Silver Member
Pool table 911, Once you scrape it off the goo is like a gel and then i take a rag and wipe the rest off. By that time, it is pretty dry and ready. It may take a few times. I would not take them back to the shop. Just work out of your van or truck, as most of us have posted what we drive. I work out of a 17 foot enclosed aluminum trailer. I hate making extra trips. If it is nice out just set up some saw horses.
Ron

OTLB

Banned
Oh, if you have a big truck thats cool, where I am there are too many highways etc that don't even allow them. When I do service with my little car its no problem for gas @ 34 mpg. Plus in the winter I like being warm and I can't think that gluing in the cold is good. There is a proper temp and humidity for doing this.

And since SLATEHUMPER is having a bad day I will throw this in. When the entire job is complete you can take a bead of caulk and put in just below where the cushion meets the wood liner on the bottom. This will keep it from ever popping up, at least I have never seen it happen. And yes you need to do this in your shop because it takes all night to cure. Works excellent. Remember to flatten with a wet finger, I won't tell you which one, its a secret. OK another trick of mine.

And this is one my son made for me, a nice jig to glue up rails fast. Anyone else have one that they can show a pic of? Would be interesting I think.

Last edited:

LCCS

Silver Member
rubber

You do not need a jig, if you use the proper glue. And i said if it was nice out. You could do it outside.
Ron

OTLB

Banned
didn't say you needed a jig, didn't say what glue I used, and if its not nice out which is 50% of the year what do you do?

I am answering 911's ? you also don't need anything like goo gone. You want to start with me its clear. Do you know which way to take the rubber off, right or left????

Have you found the video on Youtube yet? First person that does I will mail them a free sneeky Pete!!!

its been 10 minutes and no answer, how many poeple are you asking?

I can play in this forum, is this what scruufy means is this my first forum?

Last edited:

LCCS

Silver Member
forum

Like i said earlier. This is not grade school and we are not here to play. GROW UP.

PoolTable911

Silver Member
PoolTable911 said:
Hey Guys,
I am curious how other mechanics prep the sub-rail before putting on cushions. Do you use any solvents to help remove old glue and rubber? Do you sand with belt sander or hand block? Do you use a tool to scrape? You get the idea. I want others to share so we all can learn. Like this forum should be.

Anyone else want to share? I typically just pull the rubber, scrape and belt sand with my makita 9031. But I run into alot of American Heritage tables with rock hard rubber and white glue. They tend to leave a bunch of old glue and rubber behind. They also have the ridge in the center that runs the length of the rail. Tough to scrape and sand. Looking for ideas.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
adhesive remover from Lowes, scrap, repeat if necessary, hand sand with block, wipe away excess remover. on home tables I leave the featherstrip in so the rail cloth drapes over the rail top in case remover drips down.

OTLB

Banned
Well if it was real bad on those type of tables you could send the rail through a table saw and clean it off entirely as that edge isn't needed anyways. Obviously not taking off much wood. Use old cloth to protect finished side, place on the bed of the saw or any way you want, just don't get it in the blade. If the area is spotty alots of times I will use my dremel tool which is nice for finish work also. Don't like that, a paint scraper works well also, sometimes and is also excellent for cleaning the edge of the slates when you want to get them perfect next time. Of course I have a jig for working on rails so they don't move. Yes you don't need one, I have found anything that allows me to do a better job, safer, and faster, the better. Another reason its good to bring things back to your shop. I can't imagine for myself anyways driving around a box truck to do service on a table, with the costs of gas, parking hassels, etc plus your loosing money. A large truck is great under Rule 179 but the mileage deduction on a small car is better. If you calculate the difference I think you might be surprised. Of course if someone was so busy that they needed a mobile workshop then it makes sense. If your that busy than RKC has the right idea with his. Actually would be alot of fun to have a camper where you could go cross country and do tables as you go to pay for it and not have to pay for a hotel and meals on the road. Plus anytime your away from base you can use the std deduction for food expenses without having receipts and reduce your taxable profits. For as much driving as I see many of you guys doing I hope your taking full advantage of the tax right offs available to you. IF I have repeated anything from a previous post, I am sorry.

So does anyone else use a jig for gluing cushions?

scruffy1

Silver Member
Here is what we use. Totally flat when rubber is in it . Use a roller
right across the top!

Attachments

• jig1.jpg
    jig1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 420

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time we did the tables in our place (6tables) we used a small plier and nipped off the large chunks left on the wood. Then we used a rough sand paper on a wooden brick to hand sand the faces clean so the glue would hold.

A little heavy work and time consuming which I'm not looking forward to do again the next couple of weeks.

I would definitely try any "glue remover" where I guess ACTON might be used ?

And YES, I do use a respirator/mask since the contact cement is for sure killing you're brain cells !!!

Kent

scruffy1

Silver Member
DEAD NUTS LEVEL! Have used these babies about 20 times.
not one callback!! For anything!!!! HAHAHA.

Yes a joke! its been a long week!

Attachments

• model0ne.jpg
    model0ne.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 287