Pro One Question for Stan

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
I think the Pro One light bulb has finally turned on... I am just not sure if it is bright or dim. :grin: I am hoping Stan or some other people knowledgeable with Pro One can let me know if I am on the right track. Thanks for your help in advance.

I see one of four visuals at ball address. For example, for a right cut shot, I stand behind right CB edge and aim/align it to either 3/4 OB, 1/2 OB, 1/4 OB or left OB edge.

Then I establish the CTE sight line... I move my eyes to a visual of cue ball center to left OB edge. I now have two sight lines.
Then I step to 11:00 and swing the cue left to right to cue ball center (I am right handed). THERE IS NO CUE PIVOT! So bridge length doesn't really matter. I just slide my hand forward to where I want it.

If the shot looks wrong, I simply start over and repeat with one of the other visuals (3/4, 1/2, 1/4) until it does. One or more will look correct. Then Set, Pause, Finish and Freeze.

Last edited:

champ2107

Banned
well it all sounds good to me! you will continue to fine tune this, the more experienced you get and in a few month you will be on here helping others out :thumbup:

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
question for Stan

Sounds like it's coming along nicely.........................

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JMW, i appreciate your work with ctepro1. I am glad to help.

Progression of visuals for left cuts.

7/8 overlap or lcbe to 1/8 with a cte visual for close distance shots as described in my DVD at or near a zero angle.

Lcbe to A with a cte visual. This can be contrasted to a 3/4 ball quarters system shot but they are not the same,

Lcbe to B with a cte visual. Again, there's a contrast to a 1/2 ball quarters look but they are not the same.

NEVER Use LCBE TO C FOR LEFT CUTS!!!

12.5 % overlap or 1/8 ball overlap. ***This is used when the B visual does not work with a 1/2 tip pivot.

Mirror this for right cuts.

Hope this helps.

Stan Shuffett

champ2107

Banned
Did you mean, for a cut to the right, you will use B or C and a left or right manual or pro1 pivot and ccb to oble?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Lcbe to A with a cte visual. This can be contrasted to a 3/4 ball quarters system shot but they are not the same,

Lcbe to B with a cte visual. Again, there's a contrast to a 1/2 ball quarters look but they are not the same.
A friendly question, Stan (not trying to be critical of CTE, really):

Geometrically speaking, LCBE to A is the same as LCBE to left quarter and LCBE to B is the same as LCBE to centerball (which is the same as CTE).

All of these are typical "starting alignments" for aiming systems based on dividing the ball(s) into quarters, so I'm struggling to understand what you mean when you say they're not the same. Do you mean they're not used the same way?

My understanding of quarters systems is that you start with one of these starting alignments and then adjust to the actual shot line. Isn't that also how the aimpoint alignments are used with CTE - i.e., you start with one of these starting alignments and adjust to the actual shot line by changing ("acquiring") the visual and pivoting?

pj <- not looking for an argument; just some understanding
chgo

champ2107

Banned
A friendly question, Stan (not trying to be critical of CTE, really):

Geometrically speaking, LCBE to A is the same as LCBE to left quarter and LCBE to B is the same as LCBE to centerball (which is the same as CTE).

All of these are typical "starting alignments" for aiming systems based on dividing the ball(s) into quarters, so I'm struggling to understand what you mean when you say they're not the same. Do you mean they're not used the same way?

My understanding of quarters systems is that you start with one of these starting alignments and then adjust to the actual shot line. Isn't that also how the aimpoint alignments are used with CTE - i.e., you start with one of these starting alignments and adjust to the actual shot line by changing ("acquiring") the visual and pivoting?

pj <- not looking for an argument; just some understanding
chgo

im seriously hoping stan has put you on ignore. You deserve as much respect as you have shown stan which is 100% zero!! you have refused to talk with hal houle when he offered to discuss cte on the phone, you sold your cte/pro1 dvd, you have pissed off spiderwebbcom, you constantly attack stans posts! you have no understanding on how to understand!

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ, your requested info is in Chapter 10 of my DVD.

Use CENTENIAL BALLS MARKED AT THE QUARTERS AND PLACE CB OB 2 diamonds apart.

Quarters (3/4) technique and how it relates to OBA.

See from DIRECTLY behind center of the cue ball to exact right OB quarter. NOW WITH The SHIFTing OF YOUR EYES NOTICE THAT THE LCBE IS NOT AIMED AT OBA. It will be aimed slightly away from the actual OBA.

Ctepro1 technique in contrast to quarters method.

Aim left cue ball edge to OBA and then notice your perception of CTE. This technique teaches the proper cte offset perception.

So, there are clearly 2 different visuals, one for the quarters aiming and one for cte aiming.

I am on the road pulled over on my iphone.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I am on the road pulled over on my iphone.
Thanks for taking the trouble - but no reading while driving! I can wait for your reponses.

Quarters (3/4) technique and how it relates to OBA.

See from DIRECTLY behind center of the cue to exact right OB quarter. NOW WITH The SHIFTing OF YOUR EYES NOTICE THAT THE LCBE IS NOT AIMED AT OBA. It will be aimed slightly away from the actual OBA.

Ctepro1 technique in contrast to quarters method.

Aim left cue ball edge to OBA and then notice your perception of CTE. This technique teaches the proper cte offset perception.

So, clearly 2 different visuals, one for the quarters aiming and one for cte aiming.
So in other words:

Even if LCBE to A is parallel to CB center to C, starting with your eyes on one of these lines is not equivalent to starting with your eyes on the other. OK, I buy that difference.

However, it still seems to me that they're both "starting alignments" based on quarters of the OB from which adjustments are made to get to the final aim line, which means to me they're functionally pretty similar. If you disagree that's OK with me, but I think we're disagreeing about our interpretation of the facts rather than the facts themselves.

Thanks again,

pj
chgo

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pj, regarless of how you see the 2 approaches for AIM LINE A, they are fundamentally different. One is for QUARTERS aiming and the other is for CTEPRO1 aiming.
Stan Shuffett

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
JMW, i appreciate your work with ctepro1. I am glad to help.

Progression of visuals for left cuts.

7/8 overlap or lcbe to 1/8 with a cte visual for close distance shots as described in my DVD at or near a zero angle.

NEVER Use LCBE TO C FOR LEFT CUTS!!!

12.5 % overlap or 1/8 ball overlap. ***This is used when the B visual does not work with a 1/2 tip pivot.

Mirror this for right cuts.

Hope this helps.

Stan Shuffett

Thanks Stan. I rewrote my previous example based on your comments. Is this correct? Thanks again for all your help!

I see one of three visuals at ball address. For example, for a right cut shot, I stand behind right CB edge and aim it to either a 7/8 overlap, aim point C or aim point B.

Then I establish the CTE sight line... I move my eyes to a visual of cue ball center to left OB edge. I now have two sight lines.
Then I step to 11:00 and swing the cue left to right to cue ball center (I am right handed). THERE IS NO CUE PIVOT! So bridge length doesn't really matter. I just slide my hand forward to where I want it.

If the shot looks wrong, I simply start over and repeat with one of the other visuals (7/8 overlap, C or B) until it does. Then Set, Pause, Finish and Freeze.

champ2107

Banned
Thanks Stan. I rewrote my previous example based on your comments. Is this correct? Thanks again for all your help!

I see one of three visuals at ball address. For example, for a right cut shot, I stand behind right CB edge and aim it to either a 7/8 overlap, aim point C or aim point B.

If the shot looks wrong, I simply start over and repeat with one of the other visuals (7/8 overlap, C or B) until it does. Then Set, Pause, Finish and Freeze.

that is correct now and remember when your shooting a very thin cut you will use 1/8 cb to 1/8 ob and a pivot and you do not use the ctel because this is not a cte shot.

cuts to the right are always B-C with a left or right pivot (a 1/8 adjustment shot to the right will only have left pivot, with balls closer than 12 inches)
cuts to the left are always A-B with a left or right pivot (a 1/8 adjustment shot to the left will only have right pivot, with balls closer than 12 inches)

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Jmw. Seems correct from a quick read.
I do not teach the 11:00 move but if that takes you to CCB and the shot is on then you are good to go.

Glad you gettin' the process,

Stan

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
,,, a 1/8 adjustment shot to the right will only have left pivot, with balls closer than 12 inches ... a 1/8 adjustment shot to the left will only have right pivot, with balls closer than 12 inches

According to Stan's DVD, both left and right pivots are used with the 1/8 adjustment shot. I.e, the 1/8 aim just substitutes for the A or C when the balls are close together, and a left or right pivot is used (as with an A or C) depending on the cut angle needed.

champ2107

Banned
According to Stan's DVD, both left and right pivots are used with the 1/8 adjustment shot. I.e, the 1/8 aim just substitutes for the A or C when the balls are close together, and a left or right pivot is used (as with an A or C) depending on the cut angle needed.

i only use the 1/8 adjustment with straight in’s or almost straight in’s and never had to use the opposite pivot, atlarge. I believe that was put on the dvd because of dr daves drills shots and to quiet him down. I believe a 1/8 adjustment shot with an inside pivot will be the same as a shot with an A - C outside pivot.

a 1/8 to 1/8 outside pivoted shot is also not needed in the system and when you get good enough you can also eliminate an outside B pivoted shot from the system... my opinion

Last edited: