Pro Pocket pocket reducers mini-review

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I haven't seen a review of these so figured I'd post up my experience with them.

Currently getting the things together to get a tighter top for my GC4. While getting everything together I ordered these Pro Pocket Reducers to give me an idea of the smaller pocket opening.

They are shipped from the UK, took about 3 weeks to arrive. Packaging was very nice, presentation very nice as well.

So these reducers attach to the pocket opening faces via double sided 3m tape. It's not a super strong adhesive, but holds up. They reduce the pocket to about 4.25".

However, once you stick them in place and go to remove them, 8 out of 10 times the thin adhesive sheet stays attached to the cloth on the facing. So not really reusable without extra bits of adhesive.

Second, I do not know the cushion profile they are made to match, but it ain't Superspeed.

Thirdly, the pockets I have are cut at 141. These reducers change that to 145 +/- thus making the pocket act more like a rattle box. Well hit balls don't fall naturally, as the down angle is altered as well.

So all in all, for the $$$ I think they are more useful than the Pocket Reducers with the springs on them. You can pocket balls down the rails with these at least. But, and I figured this already, they are no replacement for extended pockets.

PXL_20220109_221603855.jpg

PXL_20220109_221722332 (1).jpg

PXL_20220109_221705877.jpg

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Very possible, and quite likely better because you could use the right rubber shims and make them the correct angle.

I did not mention it, but it includes enough for all 6 pockets.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are saying that, using this product, your pockets are reduced to 4.25 AND now exhibit the infamous Olhausen table type pocket rattle?

I doubt that these would be beneficial. From playing on Olhasens- I would say that avoiding the pocket rattle on "properly" struck object balls is my number one concern- NOT pocket size.

I would not bet 10 cents on pool game playing on a standard Olhausen with that pocket rattle - it pops up whenever you need to do that something extra in every type of pool game.

Thanks for the review- always good to know how to not spend 36 pounds- it was a UK website- so around $50 U.S.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Yes, you are correct. They exhibit the same result an Olhausen will give you. Just wanted to put some info out since there was none on the internet, which is hard to believe.

They've been removed after a few games because of the downfalls. The single pro of the product (remove able and not permanent) is undermined by the glaring negatives.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
So you are saying that, using this product, your pockets are reduced to 4.25 AND now exhibit the infamous Olhausen table type pocket rattle?

I doubt that these would be beneficial. From playing on Olhasens- I would say that avoiding the pocket rattle on "properly" struck object balls is my number one concern- NOT pocket size.

I would not bet 10 cents on pool game playing on a standard Olhausen with that pocket rattle - it pops up whenever you need to do that something extra in every type of pool game.

Thanks for the review- always good to know how to not spend 36 pounds- it was a UK website- so around $50 U.S.
Exactly right. Stock Olhausen make good tables, but their pockets are a travesty. There are times, especially in rotation style games that you need a bit of juice to get shape... and it rattled out. Anything over a medium speed and the potential for rattle is there, even on a well hit shot. 145 degrees is not for pool players.

I find it funny that after correcting the pocket geometry on my Olhausen, it plays infinitely better, accepting well hit shots. Unforgiving but fair. They are now 4 3/8 but play much more fair and consistent than the stock 5" openings. If you can shave off 5/8" and a pocket is more forgiving, something is wrong with the stock configuration.

Yes, you are correct. They exhibit the same result an Olhausen will give you. Just wanted to put some info out since there was none on the internet, which is hard to believe.

They've been removed after a few games because of the downfalls. The single pro of the product (remove able and not permanent) is undermined by the glaring negatives.
Thanks for the review. You would have thought the maker of these would make them much thicker at the point, and thinner at the back, because you know, angles and all. Imagine putting these on something like an Olhausen that already rattles balls. It would make it literally unplayable.