Problem w/ 4th axis

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As quickly as I can...Taig CNC Mill, Mach3 and spindle from Unique Products which is an NSK with electronics that Unique had designed I guess. I have used this for a little while now with no problems. I took a break from cues for about the last month. Fired it up tonight and when I turn the spindle on, my 4th axis starts to move. Not all the time or consistantly, just intermitly I guess is the best way to describe it. The DRO in Mach doesn't move. I would think that would exclude Mach as a problem. None of the other motors seem to move. I'm guessing interferrance from the spindle motor? I unplugged, re-plugged, re-routed and then scratched some more. Nothing helped. The only other thing I can think of to do is swap motors with a different axis and see what happens. Could the motor be bad? Any suggestions?

Jason

GatzkeCues

It used to be a hobby
Silver Member
I don't know if you have tried this yet. Try plugging in the spindle to a different outlet than the computer and controller box. I have read that other people have had this type of problem also.
Best regards Mike

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JLCues said:
As quickly as I can...Taig CNC Mill, Mach3 and spindle from Unique Products which is an NSK with electronics that Unique had designed I guess. I have used this for a little while now with no problems. I took a break from cues for about the last month. Fired it up tonight and when I turn the spindle on, my 4th axis starts to move. Not all the time or consistantly, just intermitly I guess is the best way to describe it. The DRO in Mach doesn't move. I would think that would exclude Mach as a problem. None of the other motors seem to move. I'm guessing interferrance from the spindle motor? I unplugged, re-plugged, re-routed and then scratched some more. Nothing helped. The only other thing I can think of to do is swap motors with a different axis and see what happens. Could the motor be bad? Any suggestions?

Jason
I would give Kurt a call at Taig. 408-895-6978 He is great to deal with.

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JLCues said:

Jason

Jason, running without the spindle on is a good idea. Is the 4th axis moving correctly when commanded? Try running your motor tunning in Mach 3 jogging your 4th axis. Are you running Mach 3 on a laptop? Did you diss-asseble your system and re-assemble befor use? Are any other motors effected.

Jim.

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Jason
GatzkeCues said:
I don't know if you have tried this yet. Try plugging in the spindle to a different outlet than the computer and controller box. I have read that other people have had this type of problem also.
Best regards Mike

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I probably would have called Kurt at some point, it's just quick and easy to post here. Thanks, Jason
Mase said:
I would give Kurt a call at Taig. 408-895-6978 He is great to deal with.

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was cutting parts so wasn't using the 4th axis at the time and didn't think of trying any commands. Not using a laptop. I haven't disassembled anything for quite a while now. No other motors seem to be affected.
Thanks, Jason
Mc2 said:
Jason, running without the spindle on is a good idea. Is the 4th axis moving correctly when commanded? Try running your motor tunning in Mach 3 jogging your 4th axis. Are you running Mach 3 on a laptop? Did you diss-asseble your system and re-assemble befor use? Are any other motors effected.

Jim.

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason, just one other quick check. Make sure no wood chips got into your keyboard. If a key is stuck you get strange results.

Jim.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JLCues said:

Jason

A glitch I had that caused a similar problem was a poor ground in the motor on/off switch. The switch box was painted and then the wires connected. When I scraped the paint off and hooked it up again, the problem was gone.

dchristal

Senior
Silver Member
I had a problem similar to that with mach3. As I recall, it had to do with mapping the a-axis servo as both an a-axis (for indexing type work) and a spindle (for turning work). I believe the solution was to only map it as one or the other. I just use the manual switch for my router.

wildbill9ball

Honeywell Machinist
Silver Member
Check all connections first (ground).THE SERVO MOTOR should have a cover on the end of it. Remove it that should be your end coder (the scale that tells the motor were its at ) check for lose wires and how clean it is be carefull clean hands new paper towels to clean it.
NOW I HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE ON BIG CNC`S THE END CODER CAN`T FIND LOCATION .
Now this is just a place to start. If this doesn`t work P.M. ME

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JLCues said:

Jason

Just curious...were you able to resolve the problem.

JLCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not yet. Called Kurt and he says there are two chips one controls x,y and the other a,z. After looking a little more I noticed a and z were moving. So he thinks it's that az chip. I sent out the circut board the other day so he could test it and do any upgrades. We'll see soon I hope. Thanks for everyones input.

Jason
Mase said:
Just curious...were you able to resolve the problem.

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
Route your power cords of whatever kind away from the stepper motor wires. The ac power will cause interference with the stepper motors.