Professional pool played on 7 footers... I don't get it

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think if we could tease out the data well enough we would see a difference between short-stop level players and world-class level players on this issue. ...

Perhaps. But, with a few exceptions, the players in the streamed matches for the 6 events covered in post #75 were high level. The average skill level for the field as a whole for the US Opens and the Bar Table Championship probably would not be as high as the average skill level for the players who appeared in the streamed matches*.

[*Subject to varification with FargoRates. :)]

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are taking top players and dead $ (A, B, And C players and mixing them together. ...

By "You" do you mean me? The stats I posted earlier in this thread are based on some pretty highly skilled folks.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has anyone mentioned the basic math involved? 7' tables have about 6% more pocket space vs. non pocket space verses a 9 ' table. Just that alone should change the stats somewhat. Guess the odds of making a ball on the break would be at least 6% higher for example. 6% more chance to scratch too.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone mentioned the basic math involved? 7' tables have about 6% more pocket space vs. non pocket space verses a 9 ' table. Just that alone should change the stats somewhat. Guess the odds of making a ball on the break would be at least 6% higher for example. 6% more chance to scratch too.

But by that same math, a given ball is #% more likely to have its path to the pocket obstructed on a smaller table.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If 7ft and 9ft tables are about close in difficulty, guys like Sky, Shane Winters, Billy Thorpe, Shane McMinn would dominate on the 9ft scene. Team USA would actually stand a chance to win the MC.