Putting up a new pool table

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We ordered a new pool table (9x4 1/2) for the house we just moved into. It is supposed to arrive on tuesday. We are looking for a professional type person who puts up pool tables. The company we bought it from advised that we not do this ourselves but to have a professional to do this. Does anyone know someone good in the dc metro area who does this who is good, honest, and reliable?

We will also need to climate control the building that the pool table will go into. This was a workshop built by the carpenter who lived here but it does not have airconditioning and heat. It is 20x27, so would welcome any ideas about that also.

Laura

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
Hi Laura

I'm not officialy pro, but I did put together about 30 tables including my own. Only thing is that I live in AR which is about 12 hours I'd say fom DC. :(
Anyways, if you won't find anyone there, than let me know and we will work things out ;)

Bluewolf said:
We will also need to climate control the building that the pool table will go into. This was a workshop built by the carpenter who lived here but it does not have airconditioning and heat. It is 20x27, so would welcome any ideas about that also.
Laura

The best way on this would be with a P-Tak heating and air conditioning unit with heat pump. It'll be more comfortable in there than it will be in the house. It's one of those units that you see in motel rooms. Make sure that you get a good unit that's quiet. I have an Amana and it's super. Our room size is just about identical. Should be able to get it for no more than $1,600 completely installed and maybe less.

dday

Registered
Bluewolf,

Did you buy this table from an individual or a retailer? I would assume(you know where that will get yea) that any retailer would insist that they install the table? If that is not the case then I would think that all most any retail billiards equipment vendor would be able to come out and put the table up for you.

Good luck,
dday

Walt in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laura - I'd check with some of the rooms in your area that have good equipment and ask for the name of a good mechanic. If you hear the same name a couple of times, that's probably the guy you want.

A good mechanic can make a world of difference in the amount of pleasure you get from your table. Good luck with it and ENJOY!

Walt in VA

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dday said:
Bluewolf,

Did you buy this table from an individual or a retailer? I would assume(you know where that will get yea) that any retailer would insist that they install the table? If that is not the case then I would think that all most any retail billiards equipment vendor would be able to come out and put the table up for you.

Good luck,
dday

I did not buy it local, so it will be shipped to me. It is no gold crown but it is much better than the 8 foot I had bought back when I did not know anything. Sometimes price is an issue and you have to go with what you can afford and we did not have thousands of dollars to buy a brunswick or olhausen from a local dealer.:)

The idea of asking around poolhalls in good. I think doug carter is good at this, but he is in lynchburg and 3 hours away. :(

Laura

jkjerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laura,

PM me. I can give you the name of a guy that works out of the Balt / Wash area. Otherwise, you can ask Tim S. He will probably get you the same guys name.

Jerry

Purdman

Banned
Cooling

Laura, if you find someone who is going to install an inclemental heating and cooling unit for $1,600. Cost of unit, installation, and wiring, I will eat my cue. I have been in the business for over 30 years, it ain't gonna happen unless your husband, brother, or best friend is an HVAC mechanic who will give it to you wholesale and do the installation for free. JMHO
Don P. :cool:
You need to know the height of the room, the number of windows, and the R factor of the insulation in the walls and attic to do a correct heat load calculation. Get it right the first time!!!!!!

Donald A. Purdy said:
Laura, if you find someone who is going to install an inclemental heating and cooling unit for $1,600. Cost of unit, installation, and wiring, I will eat my cue. I have been in the business for over 30 years, it ain't gonna happen unless your husband, brother, or best friend is an HVAC mechanic who will give it to you wholesale and do the installation for free. JMHO
You need to know the height of the room, the number of windows, and the R factor of the insulation in the walls and attic to do a correct heat load calculation. Get it right the first time!!!!!!

Don...in my case that's exactly what happened along with getting the unit right around wholesale. Thought you might be just the right guy to help our lady friend out the same way. :) Yes??...No??

Purdman

Banned
drivermaker said:
Don...in my case that's exactly what happened along with getting the unit right around wholesale. Thought you might be just the right guy to help our lady friend out the same way. :) Yes??...No??

I would get it for her wholesale Drivemaker. My problem is time. I would put it in for her, but I really don't have the time. I quit doing side work a long time ago. Family and friends every once in a while if they are in a pinch. How often do you build a kick ass driver for free to someone you met on the web????

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Donald A. Purdy said:

Thanks for the tips about what you need. It is 20x27 and I guess 20 feet tall because there is a storage loft with a plywood floor for storage. the floor is hard wood. the insulation in the walls looks good but hey that is not my line so dont know any R stuff or how to look at it and tell. This place was built by the carpenter who lived there and has a metal roof. It is much cooler than our house when it is hot for some reason.

Laura

Bluewolf said:
Thanks for the tips about what you need. It is 20x27 and I guess 20 feet tall because there is a storage loft with a plywood floor for storage. the floor is hard wood. the insulation in the walls looks good but hey that is not my line so dont know any R stuff or how to look at it and tell. This place was built by the carpenter who lived there and has a metal roof. It is much cooler than our house when it is hot for some reason.
Laura

One thing you're definitely going to have to address is the humidity factor. And there's nothing like the humidity in the D.C. area come July and August.
UGH!!

Frank_Glenn

Old Retired Guy
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
One thing you're definitely going to have to address is the humidity factor. And there's nothing like the humidity in the D.C. area come July and August.
UGH!!

Or today!. It's 8:45 and I'm alread back in the house from trying to do stuff in the garage. Yuck. (DC is about 100 miles north.)

Purdman

Banned
Humidity

I have a 30 pint dehumidifer in the room. Empty it everyday. I could run a hose to it and dump it direst into the sump. Keeps things very nice. About $150 at Home Depo.