Question about tip of cue construction of early precat and cat 314 shafts. Maybe a cure repair guy would know?

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a three early precat 314's and a couple cat shafts. The Cats have the 314 and cat image only on them which I believe makes them newer than the precats, but previous to the 314-2? The original precats were to my knowledge the first LD shafts on the market. My question is, what about the original precats made them LD? was it the shorter ferrule, maybe the ferrule wall was thinner? I don't believe they were coring out the end of the shaft at that time.

Then the next gen was the Cat shafts? What about them supposedly made them better than the precats? The Cat shafts and precats look identical as to ferrule size. I was hoping someone here that has replaced tips on these two older style shafts might know something about the difference if any of these shafts.

Thanks

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a three early precat 314's and a couple cat shafts. The Cats have the 314 and cat image only on them which I believe makes them newer than the precats, but previous to the 314-2? The original precats were to my knowledge the first LD shafts on the market. My question is, what about the original precats made them LD? was it the shorter ferrule, maybe the ferrule wall was thinner? I don't believe they were coring out the end of the shaft at that time.

Then the next gen was the Cat shafts? What about them supposedly made them better than the precats? The Cat shafts and precats look identical as to ferrule size. I was hoping someone here that has replaced tips on these two older style shafts might know something about the difference if any of these shafts.

Thanks
Yup, they were hollow. First ones I believe were 12 pieces with a 1 inch ferrule. Then next was less laminates and a 3/4" ferrule. Then came a 1/2" stepped ferrule. The tenon under the ferrule was two different sizes.

Zerksies

Yup, they were hollow. First ones I believe were 12 pieces with a 1 inch ferrule. Then next was less laminates and a 3/4" ferrule. Then came a 1/2" stepped ferrule. The tenon under the ferrule was two different sizes.
If I remember correctly it was 10 splices on later generations.

What had me sold on the original predators was the splice construction. I was new to pool and didn't know much about low deflection at the time, But I knew construction techniques and know that spliced wood was less prone to warping and stronger. Also, quite a few players in the pool hall were also using it too and had good things to say.

I got my first pre-cat used with a Butt for about $150 about 2002. I've been using them ever since. At this point in my life I like the stiffer feel of an LD shaft. If i use a non LD shaft I can feel and sometimes can see the shaft vibrate on certain shots. I'm not a scientist but i would think that the vibration would have an affect on how the ball reacts.

One thing that i know for sure is that consistency is the key to excellent pool and a predator shaft does that for me.