Question to Earthquake, or any pro

carlton31698

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen some very strong short stops, and just under pro speed players in my time. I have also seen a few pro players (not as many as I would like) in person. It seems to me one of the biggest differences between the pro players and the just under pro speed players (players like hillbilly Shannon Bryant) is the mental aspects of the game. Both seam to be able to make the same shots, get the same shapes, and run out from everywhere. The pro players just do it more consistently. Is there something besides the mental game I am missing to separate the level of play once you get that good? Keep in mind I don't play anywhere near a shortstops speed, so I am sure there is a lot I don't have the knowledge to see:confused:

L

locki

i think the level of concentratio of the pro players are way above non-pros.
e.g.
try and talk to efren about anything, lets say something hilarious, i bet he will lose his momentum and miss some shots...:D
when there are players in my favorite pool halls playing money games, most people's mouth are shut so as not to disturb the player's concentration.
another main difference is experience...i guess it needs not to be mentioned though..:)

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
carlton31698 said:
It seems to me one of the biggest differences between the pro players and the just under pro speed players (players like hillbilly Shannon Bryant) is the mental aspects of the game.

It has always been my strong belief that when attempting to learn how to play pool, it is important to learn the basics and practice good habits from the beginning. Once you acquire the mechanical skills, the rest is really upstairs, the power of positive thinking, belief in one's capabilities, and self-assurance. Even sharking should have no effect if a player is really on top of his/her game.

The study of human nature has always played a strong role in many competitive games, like a "poker face." I am sure some top players get an attack of the nerves before they enter the tournament arena, but because of their experience, they overcome it and put on their poker face. When you are at the top of your game, your self-confidence level should be high, and top players are successful because they believe in their skills and capabilities, but then this magical power of positive thinking carries them to the finish line.

Jose Parica recently won a tournament in California and was knocked in the loser's bracket by Efren. He managed to crawl through the loser's brackets, playing twice as many matches, only to face Efren in the finals, and he beat him this time with a resounding score of 13 to 3. Is Jose a better player than Efren? Not sure, but this particular day, Jose's confidence must have carried him through to the winner's circle and Efren came up a little short.

There are three categories of pool playing (IMO): tournament competition, recreation such as leagues, and the infamous road hustling which many think, because of gambling, degrades the image of pool as a sport. Whatever level of skill you want to attain, it is really just a game, and you should just relax and enjoy yourself. Some of us will never be Earthquake, Earl the Pearl, or Charlie the Korean Dragon, but we can still partake and appreciate this wonderful world of billiards.

ManlyShot

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post ManlyShot. It really is amazing how close these guys are in talent because on any given day, in any given match, it can easily go either way. Parica is probably the greatest shot maker I have ever seen. I don't think I have ever seen him miss a shot that he could see. I watched Alex beat him in the Joss tour finale by playing a lot of safeties and not trying to go toe to toe with him. Another sign of an extremely smart player.

Regards,
Koop

jjinfla

Banned
Good Post DDKoop. And it is for exactly those reasons that it amazes me that the pros keep entering tournaments when the odds are so greatly stacked against any one person, at any one time, to win. Very little pay back for them. Usually the hot hand wins. And right now it looks like Charlie Williams has the hot hand. Does that make him the best of the best? At least for right now it does. But a couple weeks ago Hohman had the hot hand. Before that it was Souquet. Who knows who has it tomorrow? It sure does not look like it is easy to remain on top of the heap in pool. Just too many good players out there. And they all want to squash the guy on top. LOL Jake

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jake,

I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone thought Corey was the new sensation, and he was, but for how long? Now it seems like Charlie is poised to be on top. Alex was doing well for a while too. Effen, Jose, Alex, Ralph, Mika and the list goes on and on just seem to be able to win at any given time. I heard Jose Parica say one time something to the affect that he believes in his ability and the rest he can't do anything about. He seems to shrug when he loses as if to say, "Hey, it just wasn't my turn to win." I think many of the Filipino players have that attitude and I really think it's a huge asset for them.

DoomCue

David J. Baranski
Silver Member
Rickw said:
Jake,

I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone thought Corey was the new sensation, and he was, but for how long? Now it seems like Charlie is poised to be on top. Alex was doing well for a while too. Effen, Jose, Alex, Ralph, Mika and the list goes on and on just seem to be able to win at any given time.

*SNIP*

Would you rather see the same person win every pool tournament? Would you rather have the Lakers win every NBA championship? How about the Yankees winning every MLB World Series? Is anybody glad Tiger is having a "down" year? Having different players win week in/week out and a relative unknown win the WPC just points to the parity that is arriving in the world of men's pool. Personally, I'd rather have 50 different winners throughout the year than see the same 2 players in the finals at every tournament like we see on the WPBA tour. Not only is that boring for the fans ("gee, haven't we seen this before?"), but who the hell wants to play when there is no perceived chance to win if you know it's always going to be either Allison or Karen coming out on top? At least on the men's side, there's a better chance of seeing different faces in the finals. Who would've bet that Thorsten Hohmann was going to win the World Pool Championships? Having varied winners of tournaments make tournaments even more inviting for pros because of the perception that EVERYONE has a chance to win. Look at golf this year. Ben Curtis? Shaun Micheel? Having more winners means that money is being spread around better, and more players can make a living. What's wrong with that?

djb

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DoomCue said:
Would you rather see the same person win every pool tournament? Would you rather have the Lakers win every NBA championship? How about the Yankees winning every MLB World Series? Is anybody glad Tiger is having a "down" year? Having different players win week in/week out and a relative unknown win the WPC just points to the parity that is arriving in the world of men's pool. Personally, I'd rather have 50 different winners throughout the year than see the same 2 players in the finals at every tournament like we see on the WPBA tour. Not only is that boring for the fans ("gee, haven't we seen this before?"), but who the hell wants to play when there is no perceived chance to win if you know it's always going to be either Allison or Karen coming out on top? At least on the men's side, there's a better chance of seeing different faces in the finals. Who would've bet that Thorsten Hohmann was going to win the World Pool Championships? Having varied winners of tournaments make tournaments even more inviting for pros because of the perception that EVERYONE has a chance to win. Look at golf this year. Ben Curtis? Shaun Micheel? Having more winners means that money is being spread around better, and more players can make a living. What's wrong with that?

djb

I don't think anyone is saying there is anything wrong, rather just observing how competitive it is. I think it's great that you can go to a tournament and not know the outcome before the thing even starts.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DoomCue said:

djb

Nothing. I agree with you. I wasn't complaining about it, just commenting on it. It's just too bad all these great players don't have a better venue to showcase all this great talent. I'd love to be able to watch it on TV live like other sports!! But that was another thread wasn't it?

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rickw said:
Alex was doing well for a while too.

I don't believe Alex the Lion has reached his full potential yet. Being the proverbial bridesmaid at the U.S. Open and WPC was a huge disappointment for him, but I don't think we have seen this Canadian sweetheart's best game yet.

ManlyShot

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
manlyshot said:
I don't believe Alex the Lion has reached his full potential yet. Being the proverbial bridesmaid at the U.S. Open and WPC was a huge disappointment for him, but I don't think we have seen this Canadian sweetheart's best game yet.

ManlyShot

I agree. He never ceases to amaze me though. I will watch him play and think to myself, there is no way he is going to win. Next thing you know he's in the finals. If he can ever get over that final hump he will definitely be right on top.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
if you take a look at a sport like tennis, in a mismatch between a seeded player and a,,,,,,#60 player, the seeded player will win everytime(more or less), but the actual games won/lost is VERY close between the two.

this tells me that, in fact the lesser player cannot match the seeded player point for point. and i don't think it's all just mental,,, that the seeded player reaches down deeper in his gut to pull it out or wants it more, because i think if that were the case, the lesser player would win a few.

the better player is there on every shot, the lesser isn't. i guess that's called consistancy.

in pool, not only do the lesser players miss more than the best, their position play and CB control is not as good

L

locki

mental concentration affects pool players really. remember when django was beaten by earl last year in cardiff?
django's daughter died, it must be hard to concentrate when things like that happen.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Beside practice and experience, there's a lot to be said for regimen. You must have the proper exercise, rest, sleep, proper diet, shoes, dedication, attitude and the will to win. You can't burn the candle at both ends... imo (AND,layoff booze & drugs)

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
DoomCue said:

djb

williams was lucky. he played great, but he was lucky. i don't think his game will ever be there.

i love dominant players. i love dynasties. sports is defined by dynasties.....yankees, packers, celtics, tiger, borg, canadieans, bird, magic, ali, duran,,,,, name the sport. dominant teams and dominant players show everyone the way the game should be played,,,the way the game is played at its highest level. they set the standard and raise the level of the game.

without dynasties, there is only mediocrity. mediocrity might look good, but that's only because there's no one to raise the bar. take away all your dominant players and teams in sports history and what have you got,,,,,,,no notre dame football, no yankees, no babe ruth, no john macenroe,,,,,what a wasteland that would be.

men's sports have always been deeper than the women,,,and sports, being what it is, always leaves room for surprises.

harriman plays great, morris plays great, mika plays great, williams plays great,,,,but efren, busta, and earl?,,,they make the game an art form.

williams vs. harriman?,,,sambojan vs. hernandez???,,,i woulda walked out.

Last edited: