Question...

poolchic

help me lord
Silver Member
I have played in a couple handicap tourneys the last couple weeks and by no means is the spot i have to give out of wack....If i could only find the killer instinct to knock these opponents off...
My question is what is happening to me? In the past i have had the desire to play hard every match but lately i seem to have something on my mind other than pool....=( What should i do? Just quit?:(
Anyone had this problem that can give me some insight on some success through the tough times????

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Someone or something is getting in your head, someone may have made a rude comment, or just gave you a "look" IMHO dont quit, learn to drown out whats around you. Intimidated? listen no matter what the other person is doing just remember, they make mistakes just like everyone else, when your at the table, they are at your mercy. take advantage of it.

SPINDOKTOR

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolchic said:
I have played in a couple handicap tourneys the last couple weeks and by no means is the spot i have to give out of wack....If i could only find the killer instinct to knock these opponents off...
My question is what is happening to me? In the past i have had the desire to play hard every match but lately i seem to have something on my mind other than pool....=( What should i do? Just quit?:(
Anyone had this problem that can give me some insight on some success through the tough times????

Dump your boyfriend, divorce your husband, quit your job, sell your children, drop out of school and play pool.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have had an epiphany...
Pool isn't everything... enjoy it for what it is... a game...

If your biggest problem is losing a match in a handicapped pool tournament.... you don't have any problems...

JMHO

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a week or so off. Try not to even think about pool and don't go to the venue where you play most of the time. You may figure out what's in your head and deal with it. I seriously doubt that anything is telling you that pool isn't everything, most of us know that. Take some time to clear your head.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I'm also a big proponent of taking time off now and then to get your mind off of pool (or whatever). I always come back with new interest and focus and 9/10 times , better play. Find another thing to focus on (hobby) so you can stay fresh at pool.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
Start gambling....then sink or swim.....:D

Southpaw

When you post a statement like that, odds are somebody will jump in and cry about advocating gambling. What people don't seem to understand is, gambling gives you a "focus" or, as it was explained to me years ago, "It gives you a reason not to miss." Regardless of what the new breed of casual player may say, I've always found it hard to focus when playing for "fun". It's just the way some of us learned to play. I've said things like this when someone asks about concentration. I've never really played just to win money, it just provided a focus point. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think it's a relevant point.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
Your opponent is the enemy. You have to hate them! Think about stupid drivers that anger you or something, get mean. You'll focus better and you won't let up. Stab them while they're down and don't feel bad for them.

After the match, you can be you once again.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Blankenship's advise

When I was an aspiring pistol marksman, I was given some advise that I often use as a pool player now. 5 time national champion Bill Blankenship was on the firing line and I asked him how to improve my mental game. As a shooter, I would usually earn top scores and with my last shot or two, drift away from that killer focus that had put me in position to win. Bill stared at me sternly then said: "clean your room."

Years later I came to understand his words. Loss of focus during times when we want concentration is like dreaming when we want sleep...it is the mind addressing problems and stresses at an inopportune time. I put my life in better order and practiced my craft until I was at peace on the range. I wasn't avoiding anything. There was nothing hanging over me. I was in a position to win or lose for the right reasons.

I can't speak to your situation, but for me, I was being affected by things that had nothing to do with my skill level or the competition. It was the stuff I wasn't taking time to deal with outside all that. I put my house in order then set a few records. Now I shoot for the pure fun of it.

I hope you find your answers.