Quick Derby City Classic report from the field.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
The banks tournament has been won by john Brumback as most of you know. What you may not know is how dominating he has been. John played so well and so perfectly in the finals against Efren Reyes that it was even a contest. I spoke to John earlier this morning and if he slows down he plans to give me a banks pool lesson before the tournament is over. I didn't play in the banks as I got here late.

Roy D' fish is playing in a little while so I will go sweat his match. He has been in action ever since I got here. That guy is an action junky, betting on the side, betting on personal matchups, gambling with roomates. Well some of his "gambling" with roomates is outright STEALING but I won't go there. If he wants to out his scam to some of you, he can. I just couldn't believe he would try a scam like that on me but I'm not going to sa anymore.

What kind of a spot do you think Roy D Rish needs from Jeanette Lee playing 9 ball or 10 ball?

I won my first match playing perfect one pocket, racing to three, the score was 24 balls to minus 3 balls. My next two matches were dismal. Jason Evans spanked me 3-1 and Jesse Mowman looked like he was cutting grass as he beat me 3-0. I didn't play my best pool is an understatement but I think I may have to restructure my preshot routine.

Saw MANY, Many AZBers this trip. New screen names include Gatz, SATMAN, SDE, Curlycues, and many others. Saw lots of old AZB faces. Will play in the 9 ball tournament which starts tomorrow. My buddy from Microsoft is showing up today to play in the nine ball tournament. Boy, If I can ever persuade him to sway his boss for a Microsoft sponsorship..... No, not for me... for a pool tourament. That could happen with the right entity. Ahhh, another dream....

The bottled water in the toom is a JOKE. $4 for a one liter bottle of Aquina spring water. My Diamond card provide me by my old friend, cuemaker Mark Moore is still getting me free meals at the buffet so I'm not going to rock the boat and just accept their gifts.

SJM and I had a grand old time, watching the Jets and Colts and the Saints and the Vikings. What a game by the Saints and Vikings. Brett Farve is a REAL MAN, tough as any man I have ever seen. He reminds me a lot of my brother in his younger days. Barry, my brother was a man made of steel for many years until an injury on the job practically cost him his life.

Life is good. The Saints are going to the Super Bowl for the first and only time of my life. It has been a long time coming. Secondly, I still have at least two matches left in the 9 ball tournament. I still have a few dollars left that Roy D' Fish hasn't snagged out of my pocket to maybe i can find some easy action in the AZ Room where there has been plenty of traffic.
:-)

I haven't been in a mood for doing commentary but I will get over my two back to back losses and see if I can get a gig. I'll keep you posted. Accustats already has two good commentators with DannyD and MarkWilson so if they need a break, maybe Jay, Grady or I will step into the booth. There won't be any interaction with the Internet crowd but you can still have fun critiquing us, especially if we can't see what you are saying about us.. LOL

C YA!
JoeyA
JoeyA
 
Your preshot routine..

Joey...here is a tip for you...

Watch John Brumback...Francisco..and Shane...

They all have something incommon that is very important...

Thanks for your reports too buddy...

Jeffy :-)
 
Accustats already has two good commentators with DannyD and MarkWilson

Unlike a lot of people on here, I don't have a lot of accu stats videos. I never was much for watching videos, I prefer to be at an event and experience it live and all the festivities that come with a gathering of pool players and all of their colorful personalities.

I realize there are some very beloved accu stats commentators (according to what I've read here) and I cannot remember off the top of my head who the favorites are. That being said, I bought the accu stats ppv the other day for a match and I did not enjoy the Danny D and Mark Wilson commentary in the least. I would rather listen to Mitch Laurence (sp) on ESPN. I put my speakers on mute and listened to the radio while watching the match. As with any opinion, my opinions are subjective & I expect quite a few to disagree with me.
 
Question about Mark Moore..........

The banks tournament has been won by john Brumback as most of you know. What you may not know is how dominating he has been. John played so well and so perfectly in the finals against Efren Reyes that it was even a contest. I spoke to John earlier this morning and if he slows down he plans to give me a banks pool lesson before the tournament is over. I didn't play in the banks as I got here late.

Roy D' fish is playing in a little while so I will go sweat his match. He has been in action ever since I got here. That guy is an action junky, betting on the side, betting on personal matchups, gambling with roomates. Well some of his "gambling" with roomates is outright STEALING but I won't go there. If he wants to out his scam to some of you, he can. I just couldn't believe he would try a scam like that on me but I'm not going to sa anymore.

What kind of a spot do you think Roy D Rish needs from Jeanette Lee playing 9 ball or 10 ball?

I won my first match playing perfect one pocket, racing to three, the score was 24 balls to minus 3 balls. My next two matches were dismal. Jason Evans spanked me 3-1 and Jesse Mowman looked like he was cutting grass as he beat me 3-0. I didn't play my best pool is an understatement but I think I may have to restructure my preshot routine.

Saw MANY, Many AZBers this trip. New screen names include Gatz, SATMAN, SDE, Curlycues, and many others. Saw lots of old AZB faces. Will play in the 9 ball tournament which starts tomorrow. My buddy from Microsoft is showing up today to play in the nine ball tournament. Boy, If I can ever persuade him to sway his boss for a Microsoft sponsorship..... No, not for me... for a pool tourament. That could happen with the right entity. Ahhh, another dream....

The bottled water in the toom is a JOKE. $4 for a one liter bottle of Aquina spring water. My Diamond card provide me by my old friend, cuemaker Mark Moore is still getting me free meals at the buffet so I'm not going to rock the boat and just accept their gifts.

SJM and I had a grand old time, watching the Jets and Colts and the Saints and the Vikings. What a game by the Saints and Vikings. Brett Farve is a REAL MAN, tough as any man I have ever seen. He reminds me a lot of my brother in his younger days. Barry, my brother was a man made of steel for many years until an injury on the job practically cost him his life.

Life is good. The Saints are going to the Super Bowl for the first and only time of my life. It has been a long time coming. Secondly, I still have at least two matches left in the 9 ball tournament. I still have a few dollars left that Roy D' Fish hasn't snagged out of my pocket to maybe i can find some easy action in the AZ Room where there has been plenty of traffic.
:-)

I haven't been in a mood for doing commentary but I will get over my two back to back losses and see if I can get a gig. I'll keep you posted. Accustats already has two good commentators with DannyD and MarkWilson so if they need a break, maybe Jay, Grady or I will step into the booth. There won't be any interaction with the Internet crowd but you can still have fun critiquing us, especially if we can't see what you are saying about us.. LOL

C YA!
JoeyA
JoeyA

Hi there Joey,

Glad to see your at it there. Thanks for the updates.

When I was on the road years back in Denver there was a young guy that let me play with his cue that he made. I'm not sure but I think it is the same Mark Moore that is in your post here.

Could you ask him if he remembers the little skinny guy named Gene from back in the late 70's.

If it is could you give him my number. He's a helluva guy.

Thanks and have a great week Geno...........:scratchhead::happydance:
 
Exhausted, simply exhausted.

Friday night was spent hanging out with many AZBers whom I had not met before in person. It also involved a lot of drinking and a little pool playing. I managed to get a game with one fellow player and got lucky before I tried out my hand at ONE-HANDED one pocket. It was a mini-tournament and I was basically cajoled and goaded into playing by Greg Sullivan. It was the first time I ever played a complete game of anything, one-handed. You can guess the results.

Friday night, the TAR Action Room was cooking like it was every night. There were people everywhere gambling at pool, betting on the side and they even had fools betting on who could throw one of the Derby City Classic Tokens closest to the wall.

Scooter and I sent several coins to the wall for a few dollars. We started off at $20 a throw and I had him stuck $80 when he asked if he could double the bet. The good guy in me said "SURE" but it could have been the larceny in my heart too. :D I stopped betting after he got even and Scooter begged to play for $50 a throw. T stepped in as the stake horse and Scooter won two throws in a row. That put T on the sidelines with Roy D'Fish and I figured I would try to get their money back. I bet $50 a throw and promptly lost two or three games before digging deep and managed to get back to even when the hotel management walked by and said, "you are done". Scooter waited for the hotel management to get out of sight and implied that the management said we could throw "one more time". lol I decided to not test fate and avoided any more gambling at throwing coins. The springy, attractive $100 a yard carpet posed a problem for the coins but it was a fun evening without anyone getting hurt too badly.

There was so much action in the TAR room that you had to be there to believe it. Standing in line to get a bet down was the order of the day.

I met the MARS MAN, Beave, KTown, Josh Palmer, Reverend Dave and dozens of other AZ Bers.

The food was plentiful and not very cheap. A one liter bottle of Aquina water cost $4 if you drank one of the two in the room. I noticed Roy nor I drank one of those and basically we preferred the King of Beers over water anyway.

Speaking of that, the bar would close late at night and I didn't realize the depths that the drinkers go to, in order to make sure that they would have plenty to drink after the bar closed. I soon found myself after already drinking way past my fill, my hands holding at least two beers in each hand with a mixed drink of unknown concoctions at my feet as well, waiting to be chug-a-lugged. I didn't make too much of a habit of this but I knew I would not be driving and imbibed frequently, but most driven by the heckling of the other AZBer drinkers like BoraDriver. I stiffened my back, swallowed my pride along with lots of beer, making nonsensical talk with the best of them. I good time was had by one and and all.

I saw Stan Shuffett had been watching me play for a few minutes and I asked him to tell me what I could do to improve my game. He mentioned a few things which I appreciated. That combined with watching pro after pro, run out like Usain Bolt.

The scheduling of the matches seemed to be better timed than years in the past but there is always room for improvement.

I tried to meet as many AZBers as I could and I wasn't disappointed. Roy and I took turns sleeping in our room although we each had our own comfortable bed.

SJM and I broke bread on more than one occasion and watched many matches together along with the Saints winning football game.

It was a heck of week of pool, football and gambling. If Jeanette Lee doesn't win the ACTION AWARD for Derby City Classic, I think we need to cancel the award. Jeanette stepped up to the plate with MANY, MANY top players. I doubt if the award will hurt her sparkling career or her bank account.

I am still exhausted and have to get up early in the morning to catch up on work that wasn't done while I was away. While I didn't cash in either of the two events I played in, I probably enjoyed this DCC more than any other. I also will be unlikely to attend another 10 day tournament again. I don't enjoy being away from home and business for that length of time. Mark Griffin and I shared a few thoughts about pool on the last night while watching some of the action with Nick Vita and Chris Genteel (sp?).

I'm tired and will leave some of the more detailed accounts of the 2010 DCC attendees who have a little more energy than me.:)

JoeyA
 
Back
Top