Quiet Eye Theory

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing the very interesting information and your experiences. I now realize that my loosing focus is somewhere between the pause and the cue striking the cue ball. I still do not know exactly where that is but this is what helps me keep the focus until the cue ball is hit.

I focus on the cue ball before my final swing. My pause is a total stop for at least half second at the end of the back swing. By slowing the final forward stroke acceleration, my focus is maintained. The habit of rapid (jerky) initial acceleration seems to be where focus is lost. I think the focus goes to the left making the cue ball go left and the object then goes right.

I will concentrate with slow acceleration to confirm success. Thanks all.

Last edited:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can focus on keeping your elbow still, not dropping you shoulder , slowing acceleration on final stroke … etc .. etc .. etc .. during practice! I hope to God you’re not concentrating on all those things during a match. During your PSR you should have taken a few practice strokes, determined tip position and speed you need to get the CB where you need to be next.
At Set or Pause or somewhere in between you should be totally focused on the CP, if you use this system. You accelerate to Finish slowly or with more speed determined by where whitey goes next, but you accelerate through the CB like it’s not there. If after years of practice you still need to look at the CB to make sure you hit it right then you need to return to your fundamentals. If your stroke is true there’s no reason to look at it anymore after Set, unless you’re a CB last player

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhat related. I had cataract surgery, both eyes, multifocal lenses, in October 2022. So it's been a while. Of course there was a tremendous improvement in my vision, both near and far. I have noticed though, and it took me a while to figure it out, that it takes longer for my eyes to bring the object ball into sharp focus on longer shots. So aiming takes longer as my eyes move from cue ball to object ball. Sometimes this is literally a pain in the neck as it seems I have to stay down for an extended period of time.

Has anyone else experienced this?