Rail staples/stapler

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm gonna recover my Brunswick table soon. Cloth is glue on, no slate backers.
I'm wondering about the staples for the rails. I have a hand stapler that takes T50 staples. Can I do the job with that or is my hand going to fall off?
If I could get a decent stapler for a reasonable price I would buy one. I don't want to spend $300 for an air stapler to use it rarely plus I'd have to get a pancake compressor.
From what I've read the electric staplers do not have sufficient power unless I could go back and finish driving the staples with a hammer. Maybe I should just rent a air stapler? What length staples?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I'm wondering about the staples for the rails. I have a hand stapler that takes T50 staples. Can I do the job with that or is my hand going to fall off?
If I could get a decent stapler for a reasonable price I would buy one. I don't want to spend $300 for an air stapler to use it rarely plus I'd have to get a pancake compressor.
From what I've read the electric staplers do not have sufficient power unless I could go back and finish driving the staples with a hammer. Maybe I should just rent a air stapler? What length staples?
I started with a hand stapler.. It wasn't fun. And, depending on the hardness of the wood, you may need to hammer the staples in anyway.

California Air Tools Compressor - One of the quietest portable compressors that you can buy, and only about $100.
Surebonder 9600B Stapler - I've used a lot of them, but this is my favorite. 7 years, and not a single jammed staple. $40. I've paid a lot more for staplers that jammed constantly.

Use 1/4" leg T50 staples.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I started with a hand stapler.. It wasn't fun. And, depending on the hardness of the wood, you may need to hammer the staples in anyway.

California Air Tools Compressor - One of the quietest portable compressors that you can buy, and only about $100.
Surebonder 9600B Stapler - I've used a lot of them, but this is my favorite. 7 years, and not a single jammed staple. $40. I've paid a lot more for staplers that jammed constantly.

Use 1/4" leg T50 staples.
My quiet compressor solution is to run an air hose thru my basement window from my compressor out in the shop. Silent, well at least in the house, not so silent in the shop.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, those are numbers I can work with. I do have a compressor in the garage but it runs on 240 so I'd need another 100' of hose.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I bought a stanley electric stapler at a big box store for around $40-50. It worked very well for the job. If I were to do it professionally for a living, I'd go pneumatic, but the electric worked very well. As a bonus I now have an electric stapler for household use.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I got the Surebonder and it worked great. I did run the pressure at 75 because my rails are oak.

L.S. Dennis

Electric staple gun is a must, they’re very cheap at Harbor Freight Tools for example. I’ve done several tables with the one I have. Yes you may have to tap the staple in after you’re done stapling buts that nothing. In the old days they used to use tacks to hammer in the cloth around the whole table.

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Electric staple gun is a must, they’re very cheap at Harbor Freight Tools for example. I’ve done several tables with the one I have. Yes you may have to tap the staple in after you’re done stapling buts that nothing. In the old days they used to use tacks to hammer in the cloth around the whole table.
So what would be the "best" battery powered stapler ideal for pool tables? What's the best size staples to use?

L.S. Dennis

So what would be the "best" battery powered stapler ideal for pool tables? What's the best size staples to use?
No clue on a battery plowed staple gun, but I’m sure the staple recommended by the staple gun would be sufficient. Definitely not the ones used at an office desk.

Deeep Pockets

Milwaukee Electric Tool makes a battery operated staple gun that shoots T50 staples. It shares batteries with a number of their other tools, so if you have one of those, you can buy the bare tool for around $100.00 It might be an acceptable option.