Recovering and Replacing Rubber

blivet

Greetings all...first time posting for me.

I have a 9 ft Gamby table my dad bought about 30 years ago. He has passed on, and my mom gave it too me. I was around when it was bought...moved...and recovered. I saw how it went together, including the slate. Thanks to that table and a gazillion books, I'm a pretty good stick too :)

The rails are dead, and the cover is trashed. My question is, is this something I can do myself? I'm reasonably handy. It takes me longer, but I am a perfectionist about things. Should I try it...or let a pro do it? The last time we sent it off, but I don't know who to trust, and I would like to save some money too.

Thanks in advance...Bliv

Tablemechanic

Silver Member
Recovering

It all depends on what price you put on your time. If you can go work and make good money or get other things done with the time you would spend doing this, I would pay someone and have it done right. If you have alot of time on your hands and want to try to do it and save some money, give it a try. Most people I have talked to who have tried it, said they would never do it again. It takes them way to long and does not turn out to good. To do the rails right you have to know what you are doing. There are people who working on tables all the time and they still can not do the rubber right. Also there are some tricks to covering the rails to make them play right and all the same.

Where are you located at?

Steve

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a good pro do the work for you and then help him/her do it. Take notes and then the next time you may want to try it yourself.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one phrase I hear the most on the road...

"I didn't know there was so much involved in setting up a pool table".

Chances are even though you might be handy. Your probably don't have certain tools which are very important.

To make sure it plays level you'll need a Starret machinists level. It's a very expensive and accurate level. It basically reads the thickness of a dollar bill per foot. Or if you put a dollar under 1 side it will raise the level 1 line.

Then you have to figure out how to wedge the slate.

And the rails are pretty tough to cover if you don't know what you are doing. Cloth can also be expensive to replace if you mess up.

I suggest getting a pro to do it. If you are taking the table apart then that would be fine to do on your own.

The rails you will need to take to a profesional who knows what they are doing. If they can do the bumpers same day then they are not doing them right.

I hope this helps
Mark

mroberts75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does it take more than one day to do the rails? All you do is remove rubber, sand the surface to remove glue and then glue the new rails on. Allow them to sit for a short time and then cut and glue the facings on. This is not a two day project.

smittie1984 said:
The one phrase I hear the most on the road...

"I didn't know there was so much involved in setting up a pool table".

Chances are even though you might be handy. Your probably don't have certain tools which are very important.

To make sure it plays level you'll need a Starret machinists level. It's a very expensive and accurate level. It basically reads the thickness of a dollar bill per foot. Or if you put a dollar under 1 side it will raise the level 1 line.

Then you have to figure out how to wedge the slate.

And the rails are pretty tough to cover if you don't know what you are doing. Cloth can also be expensive to replace if you mess up.

I suggest getting a pro to do it. If you are taking the table apart then that would be fine to do on your own.

The rails you will need to take to a profesional who knows what they are doing. If they can do the bumpers same day then they are not doing them right.

I hope this helps
Mark

NineBallNut

Silver Member
mroberts75 said:
Why does it take more than one day to do the rails? All you do is remove rubber, sand the surface to remove glue and then glue the new rails on. Allow them to sit for a short time and then cut and glue the facings on. This is not a two day project.

Well it depends on the glue you use to adhere the rubber I suppose. Most places allow the rubber to sit overnight to ensure proper adhesion so when you cut the rubber it does not pull away at all. If you do it in a day then that is fine. I just would not chance the rubber pulling away causing dead spots just to get it done all at once.

Poolschool

Pool table nerd
Silver Member
NineBallNut said:
Well it depends on the glue you use to adhere the rubber I suppose. Most places allow the rubber to sit overnight to ensure proper adhesion so when you cut the rubber it does not pull away at all. If you do it in a day then that is fine. I just would not chance the rubber pulling away causing dead spots just to get it done all at once.

Exactly... Every type glue has a curing/bonding process and any decent glue or contact adheisive will have at least 12 hour curing time. This is definetly a 2-day min. job for me... Everyone would be more than happy to do them in a day but don't call if your balls are jumping off the table.