Remembering Buddy Hall

This is my favorite thing from buddy hall. His method of clock position . I discovered it years ago when I realized once I started playing nothing but rotation that I wasn’t as good as I thought I was and my position was fine for 8 ball but far to basic for 9 ball which I’ve found a lot of league players to be honestly. I swear I use this system at least once a game. It’s incredibly simple and accurate from a man who played some of the most accurate position in the game.

 
This is my favorite thing from buddy hall. His method of clock position . I discovered it years ago when I realized once I started playing nothing but rotation that I wasn’t as good as I thought I was and my position was fine for 8 ball but far to basic for 9 ball which I’ve found a lot of league players to be honestly. I swear I use this system at least once a game. It’s incredibly simple and accurate from a man who played some of the most accurate position in the game.

I find myself watching this video for no reason other than to hear Buddy's voice again, in a setting where he's just candidly being himself and talking about what he loves most. Pool.

I love his player reviews, time in the booth, interviews etc, but there was something special when he was in an environment like this where he could just talk and show things, and there's not enough of this.
 
I was working on a short track pit crew when I first saw Buddy. Bobby Allison and many of the NASCAR greats we saw race on TV raced against us. Bobby in particular always held court with a dozen or more drivers huddled like a bunch of puppies at his feet. I go in Greenway and there is a very tall looking guy leaning up against the counter, one foot propped up, holding court. At the time Buddy just had the beginnings of a beer gut. What I noted was that it looked like all of the best shortstops in Baton Rouge huddled at his feet like a bunch of puppies, just like Bobby Allison.

All of the money players at his feet and nobody playing told me all I needed to know. I did play Johnny but that is another story. Wish I had played Buddy and Parica just for the memories. Everyone that was anyone in pool eventually passed through Greenway. I did try to hook up with Keith, didn't happen just for logistics in those days before cell phones.

Hu
I got enuf for both of us Hu!! 👊🏻
 
I hated six ball! Never had a good break for six balls and with only six on the table I often lost the money I had just won playing nine ball. I often played ten ball by the real rules or with the same rules as nine ball and one extra ball. I did it just to avoid playing six ball. As a general statement I easily maintained a 70% win rate playing nine ball. I had to struggle to maintain a 70% win rate playing six ball.

Funny thing, I ran into a few people that played the six ball game first. I didn't mind losing the first game and winning the second nearly as much although percentages were the same!

Hu
Never cared much for it myself.
 
Back
Top