Remove old glue?

rpillers

All,

I'm moving a table with slate/wood underframe construction. However, whoever set up the table last, used adhesive instead of staples. I'm planning on stapling the cloth this time around but the question is:

Should I worry about removing the old glue residue (mostly constrained to under-rail areas) and if I should, how does one go about it?

Also, the slate surface is not as I expected - it is not 'polished' in any fashion - instead it has somewhat of a 'fuzzy' surface. Should I try to remove that as well?

In other words, what should the slate surface look like when attaching the cloth - polished? shiny? or is some 'texture' okay?

Thanks in advance...

Dartman

Silver Member
All,

I'm moving a table with slate/wood underframe construction. However, whoever set up the table last, used adhesive instead of staples. I'm planning on stapling the cloth this time around but the question is:

Should I worry about removing the old glue residue (mostly constrained to under-rail areas) and if I should, how does one go about it?

Also, the slate surface is not as I expected - it is not 'polished' in any fashion - instead it has somewhat of a 'fuzzy' surface. Should I try to remove that as well?

In other words, what should the slate surface look like when attaching the cloth - polished? shiny? or is some 'texture' okay?

Thanks in advance...

You will feel some fuzz where cloth was glued to the slate. This is typically under the rails and on the vertical slate edge.
If you find this in the playing area of the slate as well it means the cloth was glued there at some point. Use a razor scrapper along with an adhesive remover and get off as much as you can. Slate should be smooth since the cloth mimics the slate under it.

tsp&b

Silver Member
I may be misunderstanding the questions but as I understand it the adheasive was appearently properly applied to the edges of the slate. If the residue is not excessive you can just carefully scrape it with a razor blade gasket remover.

As for the surface of the slate. It is honed (ground) flat and smooth but not polished like a counter top or marble slab etc. If that is what you were asking about the "fuzzy surface".

gmillioni

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if the slate has a grainy feel to it as you move your palm across the surface then it should be fine finished. if you leave it grainy it will play slower then if it were smoothed out. i just used a ryobi palm sander with 400 grit. dont put any real pressure to it. just move it in long oval motions. wipe with a damp rag to remove the surface dust. . this wont hurt slate its a rock. run your palm over the surface it should feel smoother. my 1926 brunswick plays much better since i did this. but it's not really necessary to do so, just improves the speed. i also put 760 simonis on it. gerald

tsp&b

Silver Member
Not to argue, but if you don't know exactly what you are doing I could not recommend that you touch the slate with any sand paper or power sander of any type. It is very easy to end up with low and high spots. If you are an expert with tons of experience and all the right equiptment that would be a different question.