Revo tip replacement

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good Triangle is the best tip imo. However finding a good one can be a bit of a task. Some are garbage

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good Triangle is the best tip imo. However finding a good one can be a bit of a task. Some are garbage

I have played Triangles for many years. I have had to cut a few off that were not happy. I generally look them over prior to install. Can I ask you Fatboy if you have any OG test or procedure in weeding through for the golden Triangle ? Heard of some water trick years ago floaters, sinkers etc...

Best rolls,
kat

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played Triangles for many years. I have had to cut a few off that were not happy. I generally look them over prior to install. Can I ask you Fatboy if you have any OG test or procedure in weeding through for the golden Triangle ? Heard of some water trick years ago floaters, sinkers etc...

Best rolls,
kat
Good question, I’ve tinkered with this for years & years and a zillion tips on different cues. All triangle tips to be clear for this post.

I’ve tried the sinker/floater trick. Couldn’t detect any difference using that method.

I tried old dried out ones and they usually are just that, old dry tips that glaze over real fast and need scuffed often. Which isn’t the end of the world if the tip holds its shape(no mushrooming). So the old ones can be ok, here and there.

Super fresh ones seem to not glaze over as fast. Sometimes. And sometimes they do. I’ve never been able to look at a tip and make any determination of how it’s going to perform.

Putting them in a vice isn’t a plan as I don’t like super hard tips. So I can’t speak on that much with Triangles.

The only thing that I could ever find any consistency with was using 15MM tips to start with. Searing told me about that, he gets them fresh and only 15MM. Reason being is there’s only a few areas thick enough on the hide to take 15MM tips from. Where as 12mm can come from different areas. The 15’s come off the shoulders & top of the hide-this is what Triangle told denis and Denis told me, Nick Varner and I spoke about this once-he’s right with Denis so makes sense.

By using 15’s your limiting the area of the hide the tip can come from and kinda standardizing a organic material that varies from hide to hide. Which is really the root of the problem. Layered tips eliminate this problem to a extent because they are thin layers and the structure of the hide isn’t as important.

But layered tips imo just don’t feel as nice as a good single layer tip(not easy to find).

So the only advice or trick I know of is use the 15MM Triangles and you’ll have less problems. Denis has done lots of tips for me and yes a higher % we’re good tips than if I used other triangles.

I can’t retip a cue, I just can’t work with my hands. But I’ve also noticed that certain guys who I have do tip work have higher success rates with “good triangles” all the guys who I have do tips are full blown cue makers & only 1 tip guy. Even tho they all look 10/10 when I get them a couple of the guys tips just seem to be better. Idk if it’s how they choose the tip-I always use 15MM. Or how they install them.

I like my tips short 3/32” to start with. So mushroom isn’t a huge issue for me. On a good tip I’ll let it go down to just a crown. A real good tip lasts me 150 hours of play time. Average 100 hours. A bad tip I’ll replace after 20 hours. So when I’m playing I use lots of tips. Usually once a tip I’ll re-crown to keep the radius I like. Sometimes I never do(that’s a real good tip). I can’t do a tip, but I can adjust the radius. Mushroom-I let someone else fix that. I’m not capable.

That’s my long tip story. LePro’s I like the red back ones and some super old black back are great too. They seem to last more hours but glaze more(which is ok if the tip releases the CB how I like)-hard to explain.

Best
Fatboy😁

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question, I’ve tinkered with this for years & years and a zillion tips on different cues. All triangle tips to be clear for this post.

I’ve tried the sinker/floater trick. Couldn’t detect any difference using that method.

I tried old dried out ones and they usually are just that, old dry tips that glaze over real fast and need scuffed often. Which isn’t the end of the world if the tip holds its shape(no mushrooming). So the old ones can be ok, here and there.

Super fresh ones seem to not glaze over as fast. Sometimes. And sometimes they do. I’ve never been able to look at a tip and make any determination of how it’s going to perform.

Putting them in a vice isn’t a plan as I don’t like super hard tips. So I can’t speak on that much with Triangles.

The only thing that I could ever find any consistency with was using 15MM tips to start with. Searing told me about that, he gets them fresh and only 15MM. Reason being is there’s only a few areas thick enough on the hide to take 15MM tips from. Where as 12mm can come from different areas. The 15’s come off the shoulders & top of the hide-this is what Triangle told denis and Denis told me, Nick Varner and I spoke about this once-he’s right with Denis so makes sense.

By using 15’s your limiting the area of the hide the tip can come from and kinda standardizing a organic material that varies from hide to hide. Which is really the root of the problem. Layered tips eliminate this problem to a extent because they are thin layers and the structure of the hide isn’t as important.

But layered tips imo just don’t feel as nice as a good single layer tip(not easy to find).

So the only advice or trick I know of is use the 15MM Triangles and you’ll have less problems. Denis has done lots of tips for me and yes a higher % we’re good tips than if I used other triangles.

I can’t retip a cue, I just can’t work with my hands. But I’ve also noticed that certain guys who I have do tip work have higher success rates with “good triangles” all the guys who I have do tips are full blown cue makers & only 1 tip guy. Even tho they all look 10/10 when I get them a couple of the guys tips just seem to be better. Idk if it’s how they choose the tip-I always use 15MM. Or how they install them.

I like my tips short 3/32” to start with. So mushroom isn’t a huge issue for me. On a good tip I’ll let it go down to just a crown. A real good tip lasts me 150 hours of play time. Average 100 hours. A bad tip I’ll replace after 20 hours. So when I’m playing I use lots of tips. Usually once a tip I’ll re-crown to keep the radius I like. Sometimes I never do(that’s a real good tip). I can’t do a tip, but I can adjust the radius. Mushroom-I let someone else fix that. I’m not capable.

That’s my long tip story. LePro’s I like the red back ones and some super old black back are great too. They seem to last more hours but glaze more(which is ok if the tip releases the CB how I like)-hard to explain.

Best
Fatboy😁

Good info FB appreciate your input (y)I had forgotten about the 15mm leather cut, have to try some only have 14's in stock.

Getting back to OP I have a ZAN Hybrid Max on my used Revo I just got last month that came with it. Wanted to play it a bit before making any tip changes. Have probably 10 hours on it and it feels nice and moves the ball real well almost too good if ya know what I mean, but quite a bit different that one pc Triangle. I love WOOD shafts but just had to snag a 12.4 Revo to see if it would make my life easier. Feels like a 'pipe' but I am making balls after not playing for 7 months now is the time for change if I am going that route.

Take care,
kat

Last edited:

Nyquil

Good info FB appreciate your input (y)I had forgotten about the 15mm leather cut, have to try some only have 14's in stock.

Getting back to OP I have a ZAN Hybrid Max on my used Revo I just got last month that came with it. Wanted to play it a bit before making any tip changes. Have probably 10 hours on it and it feels nice and moves the ball real well almost too good if ya know what I mean, but quite a bit different that one pc Triangle. I love WOOD shafts but just had to snag a 12.4 Revo to see if it would make my life easier. Feels like a 'pipe' but I am making balls after not playing for 7 months now is the time for change if I am going that route.

Take care,
kat
Heard good things on the Zan's. Mezz uses them on some of their shafts. People seem to like them. My buddy has some tips laying around so I think I will try one of his and if I don't like it I am going tiger or zan. I did really like the sniper tip on the cuetec I shot with at a dealers shop.

Nyquil

Since when does the shaft dictate the tip?

Use whatever tip you prefer.
I agree with your statement it is whatever you prefer after all. It does appear that people try to adjust their tip based on the stiffness of the shaft for a equilibrium balance between power and feel. CF tubes are very stiff so most people seem to apply a soft. I do think I will spring on the Tiger ® sniper. It ticks every box for me and seems like people don't have the very annoying mushroom issue since it's in between a soft to medium.

Cheers
Brent

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with your statement it is whatever you prefer after all. It does appear that people try to adjust their tip based on the stiffness of the shaft for a equilibrium balance between power and feel. CF tubes are very stiff so most people seem to apply a soft. I do think I will spring on the Tiger ® sniper. It ticks every box for me and seems like people don't have the very annoying mushroom issue since it's in between a soft to medium.

Cheers
Brent
Both Revo's i tested had soft tips and that was one thing i'd change quik. Probably go med-hard Thoroughbed. Soft's felt really dead to me. I like the Sniper on the Cynergy.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Not a revo, but I have a very LD kielwood. I put a Zan Griphard on it. I love how it plays, and it sounds wonderful when you hit it good.

Most people would consider a Zan GH too hard for playing. It's outstanding at holding chalk, does not deform, and shoots the lights out. I have never been able to like the feel of a soft tip. It just deadens the feel of the cue for me. I want that crisp hit, even on slow little finesse shots I want to feel it.

I get that a lot of people love softer or medium tips and that's fine. If you're newer and have never tried a hard tip (since everyone always recommends soft tips) I'd highly recommend trying them. They're not for everyone but for those who jive with them, they are great.

KUKABUKA

Not a revo, but I have a very LD kielwood. I put a Zan Griphard on it. I love how it plays, and it sounds wonderful when you hit it good.

Most people would consider a Zan GH too hard for playing. It's outstanding at holding chalk, does not deform, and shoots the lights out. I have never been able to like the feel of a soft tip. It just deadens the feel of the cue for me. I want that crisp hit, even on slow little finesse shots I want to feel it.

I get that a lot of people love softer or medium tips and that's fine. If you're newer and have never tried a hard tip (since everyone always recommends soft tips) I'd highly recommend trying them. They're not for everyone but for those who jive with them, they are great.
That's more or less the description I'd give to a good Triangle tip, have you played with a good Triangle? It's more traditional to use as a player than your zan griphard by the sounds of things

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
That's more or less the description I'd give to a good Triangle tip, have you played with a good Triangle? It's more traditional to use as a player than your zan griphard by the sounds of things
Not triangle, but I've played with le pros years ago and hard milkduds made from elkmasteres, soaked in milk then pressed hard. I have a review in the cue accessories section about the tips. The short of it is, if you like a good hard single layer tip or a milkdud, you'll love them. They really hold the chalk.

I have had my stock tip on (predator vantage soft) for a little over 6 months. I play about every other day. Its starting to come apart at the base and it mushrooms really quickly. Just curious what other revo owners have been using for aftermarket tips.

Thanks
Brent
I have the Predator Medium on my 314-3 and my Cuteck Cynergy. Very low maintenance. I play 5 days a week and so far no mushrooming in 2 months. The best tip I have played IMO