Rouer bit

slim123

What are you cuemakers using to take your square stock to round. i'm thinking a roundover bit, however someone here might have a better suggestion, maybe the size or maybe a different method totally Maybe just take the router with a straight bit and knock off the corners with just the router and the headstock not turning

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Knock the corners off with a bandsaw, then either in the lathe with a 3 wing cutter or on my table saw machine with a 10" 50 Tooth blade.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I knock off the corners with a 45 degree bit in a router table, then use a straight bit/router setup in the lathe to turn it to 1.375 round.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I use my CNC table saw machine and don't bother knocking off the corners first. Square to round in one pass.

slim123

Used the indexing on my headstock, knocked off the corners with a good 3/4 inch two sided straight cut router bit , then turned it, came out like it was suppose too, thanks for your ideas, helped me come up with my own with what i had.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If any of you guys haven't figured out how to replace your turning tools on your lathe, with live routers, also on your lathe, do so. It's a game changer.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here, I use the bandsaw to trim the corners then a 3 wing cutter and turn the piece to 35mm, it's a pretty straight forward process, generates a lot of chips and dust though, so have some sort of dust extraction system setup or your gonna breathe in that fine dust for days to come.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I made a dowling sled for my table saw. Cost about $30 and turns pretty accurate so I can use my lathe and router for final passes. Roughing gouge on the wood lathe is the backup.