Rule clarification

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On making the 14th ball of a rack the player scratches. The 15th ball lies on the head string. I believe the ball is playable there but the question was posed where would the ball be spotted if the 15th ball was behind the line after the scratch. Does it get spotted on the foot spot and thus re-racked with the other balls?

Thanks

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone stratches on the 14th ball then the 14th ball is spotted and the incoming player would shoot at
it, with cue ball in hand behind the head string. The 15th ball would remain in place.

nashville14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14th ball?

let me make sure i understand. 14th ball means 2 balls left on table, right? isnt the 14 ball the keyball and not the breakball.
shooter pockets one and scratches. ball is spotted normally on the foot spot normally. there are still 2 balls on the table and it is still not time to rack. do i musunderstand the situation? by the 14th ball do you mean the breakball?
j

guelphdad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe i'm not remembering correctly, it was certainly the key ball and not the break ball.

I think the question was with the 15th ball or break ball on the line, would the incoming shooter have to shoot the re-spotted ball and I said no because the break ball was on the line so the incoming shooter would choose either and I think that's when the discussion came about.

A ball on the line is a fair ball to shoot with ball in hand and I knew that much.

I've only recently begun playing 14.1 and was asked this question by someone when I was out yesterday. They're better shooters than I but may only be slightly further ahead in the amount of times they've played 14.1