Rules Question. Number of cues for a match.

Jude Rosenstock said:
On a serious note, in an exhibition I saw a little of yesterday, one of the players was faced with a rather easy jump-shot. Instead of using her playing cue, jacking-up and jumping over the edge of the obstructing ball to hit an object-ball down-table, she fetched her jump-cue for the task. IMO, using a jump-cue for a small jump with an object ball that's far away is not only overkill but dramatically lowers the chances of making the shot. The cue-ball jumped a half-foot off the table when she only needed maybe a two-inch jump to clear it. She missed. It just amazes me how quick people are to use these gizmos.

Jude, I agree completely. I love it when my opponent pulls out their jump cue, not only to they rarely end up getting out, but they often give me ball in hand. I haven't even been carrying my jump cue with me lately, I just haven't bothered to grab it from home; I jump with a full cue, but ONLY when applicable...you have to know your limits.

Dave Mackay said:
I have a fancy jump cue but people who know me would tell you its almost pointless having it as i very rarely jump i much prefer to kick at balls. If i do have to jump then most shots i take on with a full cue, with the modern hard tips jump cues are less useful.

I also prefer to kick at balls. Once you have a strong kicking game, jumping is rarely more appealing. For example, some may argue that a ball that is hanging in a pocket is an easy jump; but there is no hung ball that isn't also an easy kick in my opinion...
 
I agree with Jude,dave and seymore.

I've seen more people pull out thier jump cue and completely miss, or have the CB fly off the table than hit the OB.

I have a elite jump cue, and rarely use it unless, I have no chance of getting a good hit from kicking at the ball.

I learned how to do multi-rail kicks before I knew how to use a jump cue lol. And alot of that was because when I was a banger lol, I seemed to always leave myself with crappy position or hooked.

The way I learned how to use a jump cue, was practice! I spent a full two hours after I bought my first jump cue, practicing on a 9ft table, jumping over balls at different lengths, and using different english too, so i knew what the cue ball would do.
 
Back
Top