Runde cues

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this is the cue review section but got to thinking it may belong here since I'm not doing the reviewing. I now that the craftmanship is top notch but I would like some opinions of how they play. Stiff or soft hit? Forward or rear balance. Butt diameter thick or thin? Also I am an not referring to Runde era schons, I'm wondering about the ones he makes now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this is the cue review section but got to thinking it may belong here since I'm not doing the reviewing. I now that the craftmanship is top notch but I would like some opinions of how they play. Stiff or soft hit? Forward or rear balance. Butt diameter thick or thin? Also I am an not referring to Runde era schons, I'm wondering about the ones he makes now.

Thanks in advance.

I would say that the hit is medium....not too stiff, but certainly not whippy. The shaft is generally pretty thick at the joint, and stays thick for a while, then progresses down to a "pro-ish" taper for about 12 inches. I think that the butt diameter is probably close to 1.25....it did not feel too thick, nor was it thin. Of course, the only Runde I ever ordered I asked for a Hoppe style, not knowing that that meant a thick butt end (it was certainly a club). Balance of the 20 or so Rundes that I have hit with were across the board.

I really like the way they play, but I do not care for conical, or parabolic tapers. To each, his own.

For further information, I would contact barryc on this forum. He owns/owned over 20 Rundes....

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response, kind of surprised that the butt would be thicker on a hoppe style. I normally just think of the white ring.

DEXTER

Runde fan
Gold Member
Silver Member
I find them to be very neutrally balanced, right around 18 1/2 inches. Stiff but not to stiff and definitely not whippy. The end of the butt will drag on most tube type cases. As long as a use a case with large tubes there's not a problem. I used to have six Runde's I'm down to five now cause I traded one away. They are all great playing cues.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one I had a few years ago was very similar to his Runde era Schon cues. It was a stiff but not overly stiff hitter and the butt was on the thin side. Just like the R12/15 Schon I've had for 25 plus years.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say as far as but size you get what you prefer. The hit is medium stiff to stiff. You are correct the workmanship is as good as anyones. The biggest difference is the price. Iwont go into names but Iwill never understand why people pay 3-4 thousand for a'big name cuemaker thats not better constucted ,better material or plays better.Bob Runde is the most honest gentleman i have ever dealt with. He stands behind his work never criticizes othersjust does his best to make you happy. Ipersonly have had just about every kind of cue including one of the fanciest 'Gus S.' ever made. I still get cues from Bob feel free to call me . Rico.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments everyone. I may be in the market for a cue soon and have narrowed my choices down to 4 cue makers. Plenty of info can be found on most but it seems when Bob is mentioned it's usually the "old verses the new Schon debate".

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey If you truly expect to get 1

best call him and ask first. He's old and hasn't just taken orders for cues from anybody- Heck he's like 90- but we do call him from the shop. Doc has know Rundy like 45yrs- Paul Huebler,Jim Mcderm,Nubbs wagner(nova cues) . Rundy- He still makes his own fronts!! -or wrapless lately- with Him CASH isn't heavy carry some. Good luck mark

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Anyone know how to get a hold of Bob Runde?
Send me a PM if you want to keep it private.
Can you order straight though him or need to go through a 3rd party?
Any info helps.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how to get a hold of Bob Runde?
Send me a PM if you want to keep it private.
Can you order straight though him or need to go through a 3rd party?
Any info helps.

I've found that you have to be a part of his inner circle to have a cue built.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response, kind of surprised that the butt would be thicker on a hoppe style. I normally just think of the white ring.

That's what I thought, but I guess a traditional hoppe has a fat butt. Great cue, but could never get used to the diameter. If you go 2ndary market, give barryc a shout, he would most likely sell any of his Rundes.

Doug