Russ Waldo cue. Very unusual!

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a Russ Waldo cue made in Seattle Washington. I learned that Russ passed in 1993 from another thread about his cues.
I recently came across this one and found it very interesting. It did not have a ferule so I made one and put a tip on it so I could hit a few balls with it.
I must say it was a lot of fun!

full 2.JPG
joint and serial #.JPG
made for.JPG
shaft wood.JPG
Waldo logo.JPG

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
This is a Russ Waldo cue made in Seattle Washington. I learned that Russ passed in 1993 from another thread about his cues.
I recently came across this one and found it very interesting. It did not have a ferule so I made one and put a tip on it so I could hit a few balls with it.

View attachment 678799View attachment 678800View attachment 678801View attachment 678802View attachment 678803

unusual, for sure

in your opinion how does it play vs conventional cues, esp on "power" shots

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The ferule I made is nylon with a triangle tip. It shoots very quiet and soft but the stiff shaft delivers lots of energy.

R2PQZ

View attachment 678799View attachment 678800View attachment 678801View attachment 678802View attachment 678803
Russ was a machinest at Boeing. His son Bill is still active in the Seattle area building cues. The four numbers near the joint are the last four of the SSN the cue was made for.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Russ was a machinest at Boeing. His son Bill is still active in the Seattle area building cues. The four numbers near the joint are the last four of the SSN the cue was made for.
That's some great information, Thank you

If anyone has any pictures of Russ or Bills cues please post them.

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's black and super slick. I believe it is some sort of industrial coating over aluminum or titanium rod. It has no taper but it isn't whippy.
Maybe someone more familiar will chime in. The funny thing is this thing feels good in your hand with that perfectly straight slick shaft.

R2PQZ

It's black and super slick. I believe it is some sort of industrial coating over aluminum or titanium rod. It has no taper but it isn't whippy.
Maybe someone more familiar will chime in. The funny thing is this thing feels good in your hand with that perfectly straight slick shaft.
It is aluminum

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Very cool cue.
Any idea what the coating is on the shaft?
Thanks.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very cool cue.
Any idea what the coating is on the shaft?
Thanks.
Sorry. I don't, it sure has a nice smooth feel to it though. Oh, I just saw the answer above. Thank you R2PQZ. If I end up having it for awhile, I'll get a proper phenolic ferrule.

Last edited:

Jordon

I've got two, both made by Russ in the early 80's, the top one was made for my dad and the bottom one made for me. For some reason I can't get the whole photo in there.

Attachments

• IMG_20230110_200858__01.jpg
    IMG_20230110_200858__01.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've got two, both made by Russ in the early 80's, the top one was made for my dad and the bottom one made for me. For some reason I can't get the whole photo in there.
That Oak cue is really nice. I was going to sell mine but now I think I'll hold on to it for a while. I doubt I will ever see another cue quite like it. I need to get a proper ferule on it someday to bring it up to snuff though. Thank you for sharing with us.

Waldocue

Some history of the cue. That stick was made for Floyd Higgins in January of 1983. It sold for $75.00 at that time in April of 1974 I told my dad we should start numbering our sticks. #534 is the actual number of stick at that time. We did use 4 digits and some were actually last digits of SS. I am currently up over 2000 sticks from the time we started that. Original Shafts were an anodized finish. The problem was it would wear off. Working with HeathTecna in Kent ,WA. He found that by changing aluminum alloy they put a finish on it called Duronotic. He also learned the finish at that time was on sears towers while him and my mom were on vacation. I still build some cues but have not ran my lathe for a couple years now. Thanks for sharing the cue as it’s nice to know they’re still around. Been a great adventure but still wish he were to see them

R2PQZ

Some history of the cue. That stick was made for Floyd Higgins in January of 1983. It sold for $75.00 at that time in April of 1974 I told my dad we should start numbering our sticks. #534 is the actual number of stick at that time. We did use 4 digits and some were actually last digits of SS. I am currently up over 2000 sticks from the time we started that. Original Shafts were an anodized finish. The problem was it would wear off. Working with HeathTecna in Kent ,WA. He found that by changing aluminum alloy they put a finish on it called Duronotic. He also learned the finish at that time was on sears towers while him and my mom were on vacation. I still build some cues but have not ran my lathe for a couple years now. Thanks for sharing the cue as it’s nice to know they’re still around. Been a great adventure but still wish he were to see them
Great to hear from you Bill. Info I provided was to the best of my knowledge. Crank up that lathe and turn out some more classic cues. Roger