SBE underwhelming..

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can concour; the match started approx. 2:30 PM and concluded at 7:30 PM. Flores jumped out to a 9-2 lead, and Barretta grinded back 9 straight in an alternate break format to win the match 11-9.

There were two short bathroom breaks, each of which took about 3 minutes apiece. No other breaks in the matchplay.

To describe the pace of the match as methodical and cautious would be like describing the pace of the movement of the tectonic plates to have celerity and haste. The atmosphere was further exacerbated since SVB and Chua were warming up on the tv table for what seemed like more than an hour, in desperate hopes that the match would eventually be completed and both finals could be started concurrently.

With the crowd at wit's end, the presiding TD mercifully commenced the men's final, with Shane jumping out to a 4-0 lead and playing like his car was double-parked outside. I'd like to say that by the time Jennifer had sunk the final ball, the men had completed at least 7 or 8 racks.
One wonders how long these matches would have lasted if they played 10-ball.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Action at SBE is always great. Always get to see pros play $100 a rack against amateurs and pros alike. From what I saw/heard the Puerto Rican contingent were making junk games with Justin Whitehead and had him stuck $15,000. They played by their own rules more or less. Every time something happened 30 people got up around the table and argued with Justin.

Other than that, some young kid (I think he won the BCA juniors a bunch) was in the box 24/7 with top pros. He played his heart out. Him and his father would seek out every pro from Roberto Gomez to Jorge Rodriguez and make solid games. I was there about until 5am every day this year and he was making games all the time.

Tim Heath (boy is he a character) was constantly in banks action all weekend.

My one gripe this year is how poorly the pro events are ran. Never are the matches on schedule. I showed up at 4pm to get my VIP ticket to watch the finals match and they didn't play until 6:30pm because Jennifer Baretta's match took 5 HOURS (!!!). Finally people like me started chirping up and said they have to be at work tomorrow and they started. I only got to see half of SVB vs. Chua because I had to be on the road for my 2 hour trip home.

All in all, it's a good experience that I look forward to every year.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Lol. I think that may have been Jordan Scanlon and Chip Klein - not father and son.
Chip is a great instructor and player, Jordan has been playing good for years.
Jason

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere but I didn't see Spanky or Scooter at the Expo this year.

I don't think I've seen scooter there for a couple years but as I get older the pit kind of turns my stomach so I don't go in much except to talk to friends.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I don't think I've seen scooter there for a couple years but as I get older the pit kind of turns my stomach so I don't go in much except to talk to friends.

Pretty sure Scoot was there last year. They were pitching quarters to see who could get one to land on an overhead I beam. Come to think of it, it may have been Russian Kenny. Forgive me, I'm old.

Lyn

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree-One time in the pit, i looked down and among the trash strewn all over was a denture plate with a couple few false teeth.

kinda like this but way nastier

Attachments

• flipper-teeth.jpg
    flipper-teeth.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure Scoot was there last year. They were pitching quarters to see who could get one to land on an overhead I beam. Come to think of it, it may have been Russian Kenny. Forgive me, I'm old.

Lyn

Lol well Russian Kenny was there for sure.

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jordy and Chip

Both of these players are from my area here in Western Pa. and both are great players and top shelf people. My daughter recently started taking lessons from Chip. When I asked him what the charge would be, Chip said, you do a lot for pool, its a professional courtesy. Great guy and well respected among the pros. Karen Corr recently paid him a visit for some pointers.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Both of these players are from my area here in Western Pa. and both are great players and top shelf people. My daughter recently started taking lessons from Chip. When I asked him what the charge would be, Chip said, you do a lot for pool, its a professional courtesy. Great guy and well respected among the pros. Karen Corr recently paid him a visit for some pointers.

He has so much knowledge it's crazy. I could live to be 200 and I still wouldn't understand half the stuff he talks about.
Jason