Second ball clustering

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people dont hit them hard enough on second ball breaks. If you hit the ball full with speed on a tight rack clusters dont form as often.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even when I'm hitting hard, every so often, like 70% of the rack will pile up along the rail on the same side I broke from.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone tell me the reason that sometimes the balls will cluster along one rail when you break second ball?

I think it is something you will have to live with if you hit that second ball. I have used that break a lot for many years and the same thing happens to me. In my case, the speed of the breakshot doesn`t matter, balls still clump up on the rail.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few different ways to hit second ball. If the table is doing the side rail clump when I hit a little below center to send the cue ball back through the center of the stack, I change it up. If im not able to hit the second ball accurately enough or get the rack tight I will hit it with inside to go 2 rails back through the pack, sometimes it helps. I really think it has to do with the fact that you cant transfer enough of the cue ball energy into the rack. I haven't broke second ball in quite a few years. Head ball is way more effective.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead:

Well...are you making the eight on the break?

If not, you are hitting them wrong, or the balls are worn out and don't act right.

Try a different pool table. All tables will break just a little different.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone tell me the reason that sometimes the balls will cluster along one rail when you break second ball?

Because you are pushing the balls to the same side, so they all go in the same direction opposite of your hit. Never mapped it out, but just going by what happens when you hit from one side instead of center it would make sense.