Seeking advice on starting a local weekly tourney

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sick of no tournies in town here, theres over 100,000 people in two cities and no weekly tournament, which is pathetic, just had the one monthly tourney, a wopping 5 people showed up. If i want to play in a tourney i have to drive out of town to the smaller towns, one which has a long up and running weekly partners tourney, with 1% population as lafayette. This is one of the reasons i stopped playing, i'm used to a lot more tournaments. My home town has one if not the best tourneys in southern indiana from september to april, and a big tourney to close out the year (population 4000).

I'm wandering how should i seek out bars to start up a tourney, or should i try to get a guy i know and do an independent tourney with nothing added, at this point i don't really care i just want a descent tourney. Theres not really a "pool hall" in either city, one place has 20 tables but he will in no way/shape/form host a pool tourney, one guy said he would run it who frequents the bar and knows the owner, he declinded. I played in a tourney last weekend, $10 entry $0 added bar paid all of the quarters, i seem to like this format, this could be one possiblity.
Am i wrong in assuming that most if not all bars would like the idea of a pool tourney on one of their slower nights even? One thing that has happened is one dominant player has killed a lot of past tournies. If I could get something going i have seen where tournaments will ban winners for a 2 week period or something like that, maybe the first place finisher is banned for 2 weeks whoever gets second is banned for one week. I have known bars back home that have banned specific players from their tournies, this is humerous because i thought here that i might get banned for dominating some tournies but they never ban anyone. I think a tourney should be fair and at least half the field should have a shot at winning it or i wouldn't blame them for not coming back.
________

Last edited: