Senior's Tournament In Your City!

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look...I am just gonna mention something, and I don't want to get beat up for mentioning it!

Any major city in America, which has a good pool playing contingent, would do well to have someone in that city who organizes either a senior tour or, if nothing else, a Senior City Championship.


There are lots of seniors who play pool, who are much more responsible people, than many of the younger crowd, which may have a lot of pool players, who are basically hustlers, who may or may not live paycheck to paycheck, or not even have a job.


Most of the seniors I play with, are very stable financially, and would certainly enjoy playing in events in which they could be competitive, because there are not lots of young hustlers playing in the tournament.


A tournament director would see pretty quickly, that they would be dealing with people who are true to their word (relative to younger people, who haven't quite figured out what it means to be a responsible person) and would act with class towards each other, while in the tournament.


The vast majority of seniors would be dressing in a manner which befits the best interests of the game, and...although there would be exceptions, would behave in a manner much more representative of gentlemen.

All I am saying, is that a tournament organizer would have far less headaches, dealing with seniors, than they would many of the younger crowd, who are in the parking lot smoking grass between matches, or who don't even show up for their first match of the morning, because they overslept...even if they were bought for 2 grand in the calcutta the night before.

Certainly there are seniors who are irresponsible, and act as bad or worse than many of the younger crowd, so please spare me the examples of those who still have the potential to cause trouble. I am just saying that seniors would typically act in a much more responsible, and professional manner, than most of the younger crowd today.


This type of tournament players, would have a much better chance of representing the game of pool, in a manner which puts the pool world, in a better light, than many of the younger players of pool.


Having said all of that, I know plenty of young people (let's just say too young to be eligible for a senior tournament) who are fine, upstanding people, and have the best interests of the game in mind, when they play.

I am just trying to put something in the minds of those who might have an interest in promoting some kind of pool tour, or single tournament, which might benefit the game of pool, and those who are responsible people, who enjoy competing.
 
The pool world has been struggling for decades to get people to sit and watch the best the game has to offer.

Trying to put together a senior tour would be a slow way of setting fire to every dollar invested. Nothing against older folks, but we need to figure out a way to make pool watchable when champions are playing.
 
In the context of what you said, Charles, I don't disagree with what you said. However, I'm not talking about trying to attract more people to the game, as much as I am talking about creating a good situation for those who already love the game.
 
Look...I am just gonna mention something, and I don't want to get beat up for mentioning it!

Any major city in America, which has a good pool playing contingent, would do well to have someone in that city who organizes either a senior tour or, if nothing else, a Senior City Championship
.

I totally agree with what you've written. I would join instantly if it happened during the daytime. I belonged to a pool league here but hated the 7pm evening time to do it. I would rather be with my wife. Didn't like the drinking crazies along the streets coming home at 11pm. Most of us seniors have the daytime available.
 
Guys have good point here- some things I have noticed since moving this year to Florida full time- there are indeed many senior pool players- vast majority here seem to like bar sized tables, do not like to pay for table time, and as another fellow mentioned - do not like to stay out late at night. Daytime pool tournaments on bar tables is for some, but probably not for the more serious A type players; unless the payouts justify the conditions. I doubt these tournaments would bring in much revenue to the director, and since most rooms here make their money on seniors via drinks and food only during the daytime already, why have daytime tournaments unless the room/tourney director put in a drink minimum per player ( not gonna happen) or $10 per player goes to the room and pay as you go on drinks and food.
 
Back
Top