Separating a glued and bondoed joint

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New Diamond professional table coming in the next week or so, and the person that bought my Brunswick is coming to take it out. I recovered it last spring, and superglued a few slips of paper in the seams, and finished by bondoing the seam, I had done a couple of tables before, years back, but always just waxed the seams. While I realize the table is now the buyers responsibility, I want to help him out with the disassemble, as he was nice enough to me, by letting me keep the table till my new one was coming, as he was building a new house and wasn't ready for it anyway. Back to the bondoed and glued joint, do I heat it first, I have a heat gun, or do I just score it good. Also as I have a woodworking shop at home, I have acetone and superglue remover. Table is an 8' 3 piece 1" slate. I need to get this done soon, so I can mount the 2'x 6' LED overhead light that I built before the new table comes. Thank's for all your help.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
New Diamond professional table coming in the next week or so, and the person that bought my Brunswick is coming to take it out. I recovered it last spring, and superglued a few slips of paper in the seams, and finished by bondoing the seam, I had done a couple of tables before, years back, but always just waxed the seams. While I realize the table is now the buyers responsibility, I want to help him out with the disassemble, as he was nice enough to me, by letting me keep the table till my new one was coming, as he was building a new house and wasn't ready for it anyway. Back to the bondoed and glued joint, do I heat it first, I have a heat gun, or do I just score it good. Also as I have a woodworking shop at home, I have acetone and superglue remover. Table is an 8' 3 piece 1" slate. I need to get this done soon, so I can mount the 2'x 6' LED overhead light that I built before the new table comes. Thank's for all your help.

Score the bondo, try and pull them apart. the paper should pull apart, obviously need to clean the edges of slate for re install. If no go, then try superglue debonder or acetone. Good Luck! Please report back with your findings!

TFT

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks much. I'm sure the safest way would be to say it's your table, you figure it out, but that's not how I do things, and want to help him in any way I can, and feel good about it in the end. Pretty much what I had figured on doing, but never having done it this way, I guess I just need a little reassurance.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if the slates are pinned, you can lift the end slate about 1/8" off the frame to break the seam. From there, you should be able to separate them.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trent, just wanted to say thanks again for your suggestions. While I had done it before, never with a glued joint. Went real easy, just scored the joint, and lifted the outer long edges, popped right apart. Had acetone, but never needed it. Best thing about it was, the buyer worked in construction, and brought one of his buddies that worked in construction, so I didn't have to help carry the slates up the stairs and out to his truck. They picked them up and out, like they were nothing. Wish I were young again.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Trent, just wanted to say thanks again for your suggestions. While I had done it before, never with a glued joint. Went real easy, just scored the joint, and lifted the outer long edges, popped right apart. Had acetone, but never needed it. Best thing about it was, the buyer worked in construction, and brought one of his buddies that worked in construction, so I didn't have to help carry the slates up the stairs and out to his truck. They picked them up and out, like they were nothing. Wish I were young again.

AWESOME!!! I am happy to hear it went smooth. Carrying slate is definitely a young mans job. I am 45 and am to the point where if it is 9' slate I am either paying someone else to move it or using the various dollies I have. I had a bit of a neck an back injury( only muscular thank GOD) and I don't care if it takes me an hour longer with carts and dollies, that is how it is being done.

Stay safe and enjoy that new Diamond!!!

TFT

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoping it makes it before any shutdown here. Was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but when checking parts, dealer found a broken corner pocket. They sent a new one out right away, so they think Tuesday or Wednesday now. Hoping our state doesn't shut down before then. That's the way it goes I guess. Other people have a lot worse problems than me right now, so I can only hope for the best. Good luck everyone.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table got installed yesterday, and I got the light I made, installed the day before.

Attachments

• 131329r.jpg
    131329r.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 223