Serious question about today's cues.

chenjy9

IMO the only things that matter from a practicality standpoint on whether a cue is good are:
  • Cue (shaft and butt) are straight enough that playability is not affected
  • Tip is rounded and chalked (if you chalk before each hit, the tip's ability to retain chalk is moot point)
Beyond that, I believe everything is psychological. I have a friend who is a level 7 in APA 8 ball use my McDermott once because he forgot to bring his Schon. It's an old school Schon that he's owned and used exclusively since as long as I been playing pool with him. Said he couldn't stand how it felt after a couple of practice hits and then proceeded to break and run on me 3 times in a row. It is the poet, not the pen.

middleofnowhere

Registered
IMO the only things that matter from a practicality standpoint on whether a cue is good are:
  • Cue (shaft and butt) are straight enough that playability is not affected
  • Tip is rounded and chalked (if you chalk before each hit, the tip's ability to retain chalk is moot point)
Beyond that, I believe everything is psychological. I have a friend who is a level 7 in APA 8 ball use my McDermott once because he forgot to bring his Schon. It's an old school Schon that he's owned and used exclusively since as long as I been playing pool with him. Said he couldn't stand how it felt after a couple of practice hits and then proceeded to break and run on me 3 times in a row. It is the poet, not the pen.
The one thing you left out was the sound. A cue has to sound right when you hit the ball. If a cue is buzzing or making any kind of clinking sounds or whatever it becomes pretty much unplayable.

This is what you get a lot of times out of cheaper cues. Butt caps come loose, ferrules come loose, weight screws internally come loose they can sound like a tuning fork sometimes. You do need decent tools to do anything.

I remember when I was a kid I was going to learn to play the guitar and I signed up for guitar lessons at a local music studio. I showed up with my cheap Sears Silvertone guitar and the guy wouldn't even give me lessons.

He said it was a waste of time unless I got a decent instrument that I could play. I ultimately got a Gibson LGO model that was actually a lower end Gibson guitar collectible today. The difference between that Gibson and my piece of crap Silvertone was night and day.

chenjy9

The one thing you left out was the sound. A cue has to sound right when you hit the ball. If a cue is buzzing or making any kind of clinking sounds or whatever it becomes pretty much unplayable.

This is what you get a lot of times out of cheaper cues. Butt caps come loose, ferrules come loose, weight screws internally come loose they can sound like a tuning fork sometimes. You do need decent tools to do anything.

I remember when I was a kid I was going to learn to play the guitar and I signed up for guitar lessons at a local music studio. I showed up with my cheap Sears Silvertone guitar and the guy wouldn't even give me lessons.

He said it was a waste of time unless I got a decent instrument that I could play. I ultimately got a Gibson LGO model that was actually a lower end Gibson guitar collectible today. The difference between that Gibson and my piece of crap Silvertone was night and day.

Can't say I ever experienced that with any of the house cues, Schmelke SPs, or Dufferin's I have used over time. Guess I have just been lucky.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Can't say I ever experienced that with any of the house cues, Schmelke SPs, or Dufferin's I have used over time. Guess I have just been lucky.
I have replaced tips where I find chalk under the tip. It was coming unglued. The player thought the ferrule was loose or maybe a weight screw. That long piece of wood can really resonate if anything is not right It's like an instrument.

Even a cheap cue can be fixed to play better. Some don't even have the ferrules glued on they are pressed fitted. The joints are often the culprit. The worst is usually the Ramin wood shafts. I think that is the spelling. They are sticky and coated with some kind of finish.

I had a guy who would buy the Mizerak cues at K Mart. They were actually pretty good. He would come over and rework the cues on my lathes. Put on a good tip sand the shaft so it was like silk. Replace the wrap with genuine Irish linen. When he was done he would get like$150.00 for a cue he paid $27.00 for. They weren't bad.