Shaft stiffness, cues with a similar feel

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all

I've been using a Lucasi Hybrid LD shaft since I started playing more and more a few years ago, so I understand that i'm more comfortable with that type of "feel."

I was looking into getting a new cue recently and am pretty picky, but have found that what I want probably won't work because it just doesn't feel right

Last night I replaced my tip on my shaft (Kamui Black Medium - they didn't have any Soft's and I wouldn't wait a week) and played around with a couple of Joss' this pool hall had because they didn't have any Schon's.

The Joss was ridiculously way too stiff. I couldn't get action on the cueball, and my stroke is pretty solid. Easy shots seemed hard, my aim seemed off, etc.

Once the tip was finished on my Lucasi and I tried it out, the difference was staggering. I understand the action will be different because the cues are different in just about every way, but the same stroke on my Lucasi while trying variations of strokes on the Joss just didn't give me the draw/follow/action I was looking for.

I've read that Schon's are stiffer than Joss'. If this is the case, I probably wouldn't want to get one. Anybody else who has experience with a Hybrid LD shaft know of any other shafts/cues that are similar in feel? 314-2? Tiger, McDermott? Thanks in advance
 
I play with Lucasi cues, and i have a Ob-2 shaft for mine. I was playing with a Lucasi Hybrid cue (with the l/d shaft) in a pool room while getting a tip put on. It seemed like it was a lot stiffer than my ob-2. I couldn't put as much inside on shots, it just felt funny when i hit the ball. Kind of a vibration feel.
 
Last night I replaced my tip on my shaft (Kamui Black Medium <snip>) and played around with a couple of Joss' this pool hall had because they didn't have any Schon's.
<snip>
Once the tip was finished on my Lucasi and I tried it out, the difference was staggering.

You have just found out that 75%-ish of the performance of the whole cue is in the tip (the $2-$30 part) while another 20% is in the shaft (the $50-$250 part) leaving only 5%-ish for the rest of the cue {joint, butt, weight, balance} (the $50-$50,000 part.)
 
I play with Lucasi cues, and i have a Ob-2 shaft for mine. I was playing with a Lucasi Hybrid cue (with the l/d shaft) in a pool room while getting a tip put on. It seemed like it was a lot stiffer than my ob-2. I couldn't put as much inside on shots, it just felt funny when i hit the ball. Kind of a vibration feel.

This seems a bit backwards to me. The ob2 is a conical taper shaft and should be much stiffer than the lucasi. Every lucasi i have ever hit with has been soft to med flex. When you were putting english on the ball you may have felt the shaft stacking were it doesn't want to bend past that point.

As for most factory spec joss and schon shafts yes they are stiff and yes if you have a truely good stroke you can draw and put whatever kind of english is needed on the cueball with them.
 
You have just found out that 75%-ish of the performance of the whole cue is in the tip (the $2-$30 part) while another 20% is in the shaft (the $50-$250 part) leaving only 5%-ish for the rest of the cue {joint, butt, weight, balance} (the $50-$50,000 part.)

:)
tap tap
 
This seems a bit backwards to me. The ob2 is a conical taper shaft and should be much stiffer than the lucasi. Every lucasi i have ever hit with has been soft to med flex. When you were putting english on the ball you may have felt the shaft stacking were it doesn't want to bend past that point.

As for most factory spec joss and schon shafts yes they are stiff and yes if you have a truely good stroke you can draw and put whatever kind of english is needed on the cueball with them.

I'm not talking a factory lucasi shaft, i'm talking about the new hybrid low deflection shafts. Even shooting a ball straight in with no english, they just hit weird to me (like a vibration or thud sound) after playing with my ob-2. Not really a fan of the lucasi l/d shaft.
 
Back
Top