Shaft Stripped?

RedTail

Registered
I have a pre-dot Meucci shaft that seems to be stripped. It just wont tighten. Anybody ever experienced this? Im so disappointed.
Thanks,
Red

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a pre-dot Meucci shaft that seems to be stripped. It just wont tighten. Anybody ever experienced this? Im so disappointed.
Thanks,
Red

Hi Red
Anything is possible. Is it a wood thread or is there a brass insert?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's a pre- dot shaft, it's a pretty old shaft, things happen. It's a quick repair though.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a brass insert...

Hi Red
Process of elimination.
Have you tried another shaft on the butt to make sure the joint screw isn't just turning as you tighten?

Same for the shaft to see in the insert isn't just spinning?

How does it look inside the insert, are the threads gone?

RedTail

Registered
It doesnt appear that the shaft threads are turning. Wish I had another shaft to try...Hopefully it can be fixed

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I'm 99.99% it can be fixed. Take the butt and the shaft to your qualified mechanic and have them take a look. If no one is close by, do your research before sending it out.
Without holding it in our hands, it's hard to say. Even pictures will only tell half the story.
If you like the cue and want it fixed, get it done. Depending on who's doing the work, less than $100 to get it back in playing shape.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesnt appear that the shaft threads are turning. Wish I had another shaft to try...Hopefully it can be fixed

Ok.
Option 2

Buy two nuts 5/16x18 at the hardware store. Put them on the joint screw but not all the way down. Just eneogh so you can lock them together. Then use the wrench and lightly see if you can turn the joint screw.
For the shaft, buy a shoulder screw where the threads are 3/4" threads showing before the shoulder and screw it into your shaft and see if you can turn it.
Hope this helps