shaft taper question

ky4some

Registered
I play a McDermott D15 with a McDermott G Core shaft with pro taper, 10-12" I would guess. I see many of the aftermarket shafts like the Jacoby Ultra Pro or Meucci Pro or Jacoby Kielwood with pro tapers around 15-16" or even 19". Seems like the carbon fiber shafts all have longer tapers also. I've hit some of these longer taper shafts and they sure seem comfortable. So educate me. Does the longer tapers I see on so many shafts today create a stiffer hit? Or more low deflection? Or is it just a comfort thing? Or does a longer taper create a higher performance shaft?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I think and why I'd bring it up:
1) Yes/Depends
2) Some need a long stroke to shoot high energy shots efficiently. Arm droppers especially can benefit from as cylindrical a profile as possible.
3) The stiffness of the material dictates how long this cylindrocity :D can extend. IOW a wood shaft would be as useful as a noodle long before carbon fiber.
4)...

PracticeChampion

To me a long taper wood shaft would promote more deflection being more flexible except in a case of a carbon shaft because it's so stiff

ky4some

Registered
To me a long taper wood shaft would promote more deflection being more flexible except in a case of a carbon shaft because it's so stiff
This is what I thought too but then I see shafts like the Jacoby Ultra Pro which has a 19" taper and is extremely low deflection. And the Jacoby Kielwood is 16" taper and I've heard it is also great in the low deflection properties. This is where I got confused. How are they getting low deflection with this long taper?

Back in my day, Bob Meucci developed the "extended pro taper" which was about 14". These Meucci shafts were know for ability to put great spin on the cue ball. Basically they were "whippy" but had plenty of deflection.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is where I got confused. How are they getting low deflection with this long taper?
I'm not entirely convinced but the scientists here - Dr. Dave, PJ, BJ, and whomever else knows how physics actually manifests, will tell you the end mass - the mass at the striking end of the cue is the prime if not only factor. Notice the .5" ferrules...