Shipping to the UK and some tips

shortcutz

Run rabbit
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi guys, I kinda lurk in the background here picking up bargins of cues.

Thought it would be useful for me to share a recent stressfull shipping issue I had and how to avoid it.

I have just bought a gorgeous PFD Titlist conversion from Burt (96supersport) and the problems I have had do not in any way reflect on him, he has conducted himself in the best manner you could wish for:thumbup:

Anyway,
Excited by the USPS tracking number I had been sent. I checked the tracking service daily until I saw (some what confused) that delivery had been attempted at my home address where I had been all day.

I made some enquiries to find a company called Parcelforce were the agents for USPS in the UK. From this point on I shall refer to them as Parcelfarce as I think its slightly more accurate.

I then checked the Parcelfarce website and used the redelivery tool to attempt to have it redelivered. I thought this had worked as I had confirmation.

However, within 20 mins my phone rang, telling me a fee for import duty was due on my parcel, not a problem not the first thing I have received from overseas with tax to pay. However as I had found my information from the USPS website and not the parcelfarce letter which was forthcoming, he refused to let me pay as I did not have the correct reference for it, even tho he had it in his hand!!!!!!!:angry: After some mutual rudeness:p I decided not to waste my phone bill.

While waiting I thought I would investigate why the USPS website said delivery had been attempted. I eventually spoke to someone at Parcelfarce head office who let slip they always tell USPS that they have attempted delivery to keep the service level agreement high :angry:

Two days later my letter arrived, so I called the number to make a payment for the tax and I was told their credit card system was down and to call back, when calling back I was told my credit card could not be accepted :angry: so I tried another, same result:angry:, attempted my company credit card again no joy:angry: . I asked for alternative payment methods, was told they could do COD, thought thats the way, sorted it to be delivered the next day.

Worked from home the next day waiting for delivery cash in hand. By 5:30 kinda got the idea it was not coming, so called the number again to find what was going on. Was then told there was a limit drivers were allowed to accept and my payment was over this.:angry: I would have to send a cheque or collect it from the depot and pay cash. However I could not send a cheque as they required 10 working days to clear. This would take me past the time limit to be returned to the sender :angry: My only choice was to take half day from work and make the 100 mile trip to collect a parcel from a delivery compay. Oh the irony!!!

So I did and now I have my new cue.

on inspection of my bill they have charged me around $25 just to pay the tax on my behalf, A service I can do myself and do not want them to do.
Should I find the person who thought that one up I will wake him daily with a fog horn at 5am, then bill him for the service!!!!!:D

To avoid this there are a few options;

Use Fedex or UPS, they both have reasonable charges and send the invoice with the parcel

Have it marked as a cue that has been repaired and is being returned to sender.

Hope this makes some of you smile and helps some others out.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
i dunno about u, but when stuff passes the canadian border, if it is taxed, they will charge u a brokerage fee. it seems in your case it was 25 dollars. it's not just to pay for the tax on your behalf. it's also to file the correct papers and everything in order to get it released by customs. customs and the delivery agent are two separate entities. so the delivery agent cannot actually deliver the package until it is released to them and customs will not release the package unless it is paid for. in that situation, the delivery company either has its own agents or hire customs agents to process the package and pay for it. the 25 dollar fee is mostly for the work involved in getting the correct documents to release the package.

while u can get it released by yourself, if u even fill out 1 section or box incorrect on the forms, customs will hold the item for much longer. so its always best to have an agent do it. 25 dollars seems high tho but it is the brokerage fee, the fee that the delivery agency pays to the customs agent to file the correct papers.

shortcutz

Run rabbit
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not quite like that this side of the pond,
When it come to the UK through ups they sort it for about $3, and no hassle.
This is their own charge, not a fee to file any release papers.

For personal items through most delivery companys you pay yourself for no charge, just a matter of calling the Tax office.

Good to hear you get the choice tho.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
i think if u ship it ups tho it has to be some sort of express service. with ups anything other than ups ground gets brokerage fee paid for which is why u dont get charged much if u have it shipped overseas by ups.

shortcutz

Run rabbit
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well maybe I think its more to do with UPS dealing with both sides rather than two companies.
They have never disclosed an extra fee to me when I have sent things the other way.