shooting with inside

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that makes sense...., on a philosophy forum...lol.

Care to dumb it down for the peanut gallery...?
Uh, don't put the cart before the horse?

Me, inside is useful stuff. Some shots - certain cuts, I use it just to aim because you can point the stick right at the contact point.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
ok, I'm closer, but what's the cart and who's the horse....?

My take is that inside is just as viable as outside. Favouring one over the other isn't necessarily bad, but avoiding one over the other because of discomfort (lack of confidence) is a disservice to the growth of your game.

Geosnookery

Good call.... Although I respect the hell out of Dr Dave. Suggesting that playing with inside is somehow not a good approach, regardless of the player, seems odd. I'd go the other way and say do it more often if it feels uncomfortable to do. I didn't follow the link so maybe I'm pulling him way out of context.

Off topic but relative. When I was being taught how to weld. The millwright told me that whenever possible perform the weld with my off hand. Without the aid of hindsight this confused me, so I ask the obvious question. His reply was simply...: "When you find yourself in a position that requires your left hand. You won't have any problem doing it." Words to live by imo...
I like that final paragraph. I’ve always played billiards left and right handed. I’m a lefty but decades ago was instructed to make easy shots right handed. Now I don’t even think about which hand I’m using.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I like that final paragraph. I’ve always played billiards left and right handed. I’m a lefty but decades ago was instructed to make easy shots right handed. Now I don’t even think about which hand I’m using.
Unfortunately I learned the game well before someone took the time to teach me how to weld.

Being a snooker guy, I'm pretty strong with a rest and don't hesitate to use one. This really limits the occassions when being ambidextrous, would be handy. That said, I have put some time in with my off hand during the lockdowns. It's comcial....lol

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once feared the use of inside. Well not feared it, but if I could shoot the shot without it I did. Years ago, I shot weeks using nothing but inside. It was quite the learning experience, and it gave me the confidence to shoot any shot with the side spin I need to get where I need to. I was once asked in my teen's by a state champion which I prefer, follow or draw. My answer was which ever one I needed to get to the next shot. He liked that answer so much he started teaching myself.