Shootout at Bank Shots...Illinois last night

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Is that an anecdote or data? :)
I own more than one gun and know how to use them properly and store them carefully. I also think we should have far more stringent controls on who can buy a gun, starting with Universal background checks! Even those who are pro 2nd Amendment should realize that some people should not be allowed to own a gun. There have been several mass shootings by people who had already been diagnosed and treated for mental disorders, yet they were able to buy a gun legally in their state.
Stats are funny. They can tell any story one wants them to. Meaningless post by Patrick.

As far as "Universal background checks" we should 1st consider enforcing the laws we already have. In terms of mental disorders, who gets to decide the definition of that? It's a slippery slope best not left in the hands of "politicians". Is a short experience of "depression" when a loved one passes away as recorded by a family physician reason to seize someone's weapon? Slippery slope and we know what motivates the left.

The debate could rage on...lol

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no debate. What part of "Shall not be infringed" does the left not understand?

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
I'll make it really simple and most of you will get it. If you appear to be or look like you are wealthy you become a target in today's society. Wearing expensive jewelry, designer clothes or driving a high end car is a signal to potential thieves that you have $$$. As for me I prefer to drive my low mileage (only 60K) 1997 Toyota Camry LHE Edition (I own several other vehicles) and leave my diamond ring and gold bracelet at home. My daily wear is shorts and a T-Shirt. I'm not worried about making an impression if we drive through a wealthy neighborhood. My ego does not require this. Only my banker knows how I'm doing financially and I like it that way. Keep the faith kids! :)

I basically do the same. While I’ve always got a relatively newer model car I dress like a bum. Or at least my wife says I do. But for me it never matters. I’ve got the “cop vibe” and everyone always assumes I’m a cop. I go to a pool room all the drug dealers and users avoid me and you can observe them pointing and whispering occasionally my way. Gangbangers do the same. Every time I meet somebody new at my regular pool room I get asked, “So which department do you work for.” The fact that I carry a gun and ignore the signs forbidding it probably adds to the suspicion. But I’ve yet to have an owner or door man tell me to get rid of it. A few nights ago I went to a club looking for a guy who owed me for some money he lost playing nine ball and the door man checked my ID and used the metal detector wand. When he reached my gun he ignored the squeal and let me in anyway. He just assumed I was a cop. It has its benefits but with all the police shootings lately I’m starting to wonder if the benefits outweigh the potential liabilities. For now though, people’s false perceptions seem to be a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Speaking of science, here's another Scientific American article about gun ownership research. A couple of the findings:

- Firearm assaults were seven times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least.

- Guns at home were four times more likely to cause an accidental shooting, seven times more likely to be used in assault or homicide, and eleven times more likely to be used in a suicide than they were to be used for self-defense.

pj
chgo

How does a gun cause an accidental shooting?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
One factor is that too many "Law abiding citizens" have free access to firearms.

You're welcome.

Law abiding citizens with guns make skools unsafe?

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

A thought: What "thing" stopped ALL skool shootings?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Unfortunately, you feel a need to prove that every day. It's tiresome.

STILL no argument.

When you have a point to make besides your opinion of how stupid I am, why don't you use your superior intellect to make it?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Your paranoia isn't the best argument for gun ownership.

pj
chgo

It's not paranoia. It's a real fear. Read any history book about govt revolution, etc. ALL govts started after such things.

If you're into govts, you might want to explore how most are started.

Jeff Livingston