Shop question

J.T.450r

Chesapeake Custom Cues
Silver Member
How much of the cue making process and what machinery can be in an unconditioned space (garage) if any?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most of it can be done there, but your machinery will get pretty rusty in most parts of the country. You will need to bring the heat up to upper 60's or warmer while gluing things up and tapering or you are begging for problems.
Keeping a dehumidifier in a non-climate controlled room is a good idea if you plan to store wood there.
I used to have a garage that I did some work in that was not heated. I got one of those contruction blowers that runs off of kerosene. It could heat it up in a hurry in there. Other than the smell and the fact that I set my pants leg on fire once while standing too close to it, I have no complaints. Then I invested in insulation and some plywood walls and mounted a electric heater in it on the ceiling. That was much better. I could bring the heat up in a hurry with the Kerosene blower and then turn it off and let the electric heat keep it warm.
I still have one non-heated gargage that I do my sawing and such in.

Last edited:

J.T.450r

Chesapeake Custom Cues
Silver Member
What about summer time heat 90deg will the dehumidifier be enough not to cause problems with the wood?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much of the cue making process and what machinery can be in an unconditioned space (garage) if any?

Even if the room is small it can be divided up. I have a 1200 sq. ft two story building. Most of the time I am down stairs. The lower floor is 600 sq. ft but the area I work most of the time is only about 10 by 20. It is the only air conditioned part of the building. Noisy machines have their own rooms and wood is stored in a small climate controlled room. It can be done with a little drywall and some studs or even just some plastic sheeting. My air conditioner by the way is one of those free standing ones on wheels. I can move it around if I want. Just some food for thought.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The heat is not as big of a problem. You really need to cool it down a little to work in there, but you don't need to worry too much about it getting too hot in there when you are not in there running the air.