Should i buy a better cue?

thrash attack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you need to get a new cue, but make sure the owner describes it as a "monster" and that it "hits a ton" anything else will just be junk.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you can afford a diamond table then you probably need a new cue ! ;) honestly I've been a predator guy; just what I started with and got used to so i stick with it. The most solid balanced cue I have though is a diveney sneeky pete with a predator z2 shaft and kamui tip. Its sweet and can't imagine anything hitting better.

jwe711

The Great Cue Masters...!
Silver Member
My suggestion is to try to hit with as many different cues, and also optionally change to their low deflection shafts...

Create a simple series of shots by putting dots on the table, so that you can repeat the shot to exact replication.

As you will see, there will be cues and shafts that you hit the ball clean and pure, and then there will be those that just didn't feel right, and you hit the ball like crap...
The goal is to hit the ball in the same manner with each shaft and cue...(gonna be hard cuz you're not a robot), so give it 10 shots per pattern, and this should give you the feel of whether you like the cue or not.

Try this on about 10 different pattern shots...that are common to the game...

This should give you the feel of each shaft and cue that may offer the best feel and touch that fits your stroke and playing style.

Now, if you have the cue bug...then, you may end up like me, and want a nice cue from one, of each of the high end elder master cue builders, in your collection, regardless of how they play, it's more about the collectablility of the cue rather than actually wanting to play with them...

Though, I've got around 4 cues that I call my playing cue, I usually only carry one, and it gets the job done for me to the best of my ability on any table. I'd say that's the one that you're looking for, but you might have to test a dozen or two dozen+ cues, and shafts, before you find the one that offers the best feel to your playing style.

Anyhow, Good Luck, and, I prefer the original shaft, to the original cue builders...they didn't get their reputation by building crap...or by using wood that's glued together in order to create a niche' market, to sell the wood that had the sugar marks and minor blemishes that would possibly make the custom cue a bit less desirable, than a custom cue with an all perfectly white pair of shafts...

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
American pool players can be identified by fancy cues and PayLess shoes.

Suggest that priorities should be reversed for playing pleasure. :grin::grin::grin:

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a 20year+ old cue that is still straight, I'd stick with it, as it being straight after all these years means you most likely have an a over average hunk of wood.