Should I Replace the Cloth On My Entire Table?

Hoogaar

Registered
I have a couple of problems with my table:

1: There is a hole on one of the rails, and it's getting bigger.
2: One of the rails seems like it was not installed properly - it's raised up a few mm. I've been playing on it for a few years now, and don't notice that it changes the playability (probably does at least a little), but whenever it catches my eye, it bothers me.

Main reason for my post is I was floored at the cost to replace the cloth and the rail rubber (not sure if it's necessary, but figured get it all done in one go).

all prices CAD$
Cost for rubber $300, installation $175
Cost for Simonis cloth (9') $550, installation $350.

So I'm looking at around $1500. On the one hand, that's a lot of money and other than that one hole on the rail, the rest of the cloth is in pretty good shape. On the other hand, if I just bite the bullet and do the whole thing, my table would be almost like brand new.

So my questions are:

1) Can I just replace the cloth on the rails (I have enough spare to cover them)?
2) If redoing the whole table, is there extra labour required to replace the rubber as I assume you would need to take them off to replace the cloth anyway? (I obviously don't know much about replacing the cloth)
3) any other option I should look at or questions I should ask which I haven't thought of?

Pic 1 whole table. Cloth is in pretty good shape (I think). Pic 2, hole in the cloth on the rail. Pic 3, rubber flush on the rail. Pic 4, rubber not flush with the rail.

Attachments

• processed-5C994817-BB20-4D0D-8F17-2EB8D3D532ED.jpeg
    processed-5C994817-BB20-4D0D-8F17-2EB8D3D532ED.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 42
  • processed-02032C18-A7CD-4F07-933A-1D6488C0D8D6.jpeg
    processed-02032C18-A7CD-4F07-933A-1D6488C0D8D6.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 43
  • processed-33626707-8D2E-4F0A-8F84-363F3900ADAB.jpeg
    processed-33626707-8D2E-4F0A-8F84-363F3900ADAB.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 41
  • processed-76704E0B-2AA4-41A1-87BF-47775A6812C9.jpeg
    processed-76704E0B-2AA4-41A1-87BF-47775A6812C9.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 41

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'm not a mechanic.

1. Yes. A lot of businesses will sell rail cuts only, but you usually have to call them, it's not listed on the websites.
2. Yes, and you want to research the mechanic. It's not a horrible job but many so called mechanics are hacks, be sure to check their previous work if you can. Nothing is worse than paying someone to do it right and then having to either pay someone else again, be out materials, or have to fight them to fix their mistake. Do research, figure out what rail profile your table uses, basically watch some videos and see the process and how to do it right so you don't get taken for a ride.

Reactions: NYC

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that were my table, I'd only replaced the cloth on the one rail. The bed cloth and the cloth on the other rails looks to be in very good shape.

Also, there is no need to replace any rubber on that table. The raised cloth you're seeing isn't from the rubber at all. It's caused by a featherstrip that wasn't seated correctly. Not a big deal to correct, and honestly, not a big deal if you just leave it as is.

Hard Knock Cues

If that were my table, I'd only replaced the cloth on the one rail. The bed cloth and the cloth on the other rails looks to be in very good shape.

Also, there is no need to replace any rubber on that table. The raised cloth you're seeing isn't from the rubber at all. It's caused by a featherstrip that wasn't seated correctly. Not a big deal to correct, and honestly, not a big deal if you just leave it as is.
I agree, you could replace just the one rail cloth. I had a guy that had the rail cloth pull out of the feather strip because it wasn't tight enough. He was able to buy one strip of cloth for the rail and I replaced it. It does look like your feather strips just need to be tapped down properly, with a tapping block, NOT just the hammer which guys tend to ding up the formica. It looks like Your cloth is in great shape.

Hoogaar

Registered
OK - thanks for the replies. I think I'll take your suggestions and just do the one rail (or all 6 if I have enough cloth for it).

It does seem silly to throw away $1000 while my cloth is still in great shape except for that one rail. Cheers!