"Skins" style ring America tournament?

Dedeye1209

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know where the "America" came from... lol

There are a couple of small (avg < 25 players) tournaments where I live, at 2 or 3 venues. No one is ever happy with the one 9-ball handicap event, so the #2 room is starting their own.

I'm sick of it, so I have an idea for a limited-field, low cost, tiered "skins" style ring game event.
I was thinking 3 or 4 tiers, 5 max players to start in each
Beginner & intermediate play a 9-ball ring game
Skilled players can play 10 ball
Advanced players play 10 ball or 15 ball (61) rotation.

Use poker chips, have $5 ($10, $15, $20) buy in, $5 re-buy
Winner of each 5 man game takes all
Start with 15 ch, pay 1/2 at 5 players
Pay 2/4 at 4 players
~HALVE CHIPS~
Pay 2/4 at 3 players
Race to 3 or 5 for the money at 2

This is intended for a local pool community, so everyone knows others' game... pretty hard to sandbag.

I'm thinking you could even take votes on entry fees for higher-level handicap games. If you want to jack the pot up, and everyone is in, go ahead.

Also, if you want to play up a skill level to challenge yourself, do so.

NO PLAYING DOWN, aka no stealing. Once you win 2/3 weeks at a given level, you move up.

This is in the "idea" stage, I'm taking suggestions.

Last edited:

CokerFan82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really miss playing ring games. 10 ball to be specific. We always played with chips. $20-25 worth. No safety play.. the incoming player could hand the shot back. Ever three racks the money ball/s double value. Play until 1 guy has all chips 😋

Dedeye1209

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has always been a kind of unspoken non-safety rule everywhere I've played. You can give the shot back only if the person shooting fouls.

All out offense makes it more interesting.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has always been a kind of unspoken non-safety rule everywhere I've played. You can give the shot back only if the person shooting fouls.

All out offense makes it more interesting.

That's how I've always played it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D:D