SLate Joints - Beeswax or Body Filler?

Robotron

Hey guys!

Seems to be some confusion on which is best to seal slate joints. beeswax, or (car) body filler?

Any thoughts/votes (and reasons appreciated!!)

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used bondo and Durham's. Both worked great. Durham's is more likely to crumble, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Dave Clayton use to redo tables, he used Bees Wax most on small
Voids.

One negative Beeswax is some people can be close when it being heated & applied.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer body filler over beeswax.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Robotron

Does the body filler not prove damaging to the slate if it ever has to be dissasembled (i.e. chips etc) and then reassembled again? Can you get it off before reassembly?

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I ordered my first table from a online outfit near me, I had no clue about pool tables. I just knew that I wanted a table, and I wanted to not pay too much. Ordered a 7 foot table. It was 1700 dollars delivered and set up. So when the two guys showed up with the table, I said WHERES the table at. They pointed to a flat box in there truck and said it’s in the truck. Long story short, the table was from China, and they had to put it together. I was not happy. But I was so excited to have A TABLE, IT DIDNT MATTER. the main guy said he had been doing tables for 17 years.

a week later I noticed that the cue ball would wobble as it went down the long rail at about the second diamond.
I thought it was weird that the ball would wobble. Finally I put my finger on the felt and rubbed. And there was a groove under the felt!!!!

the SOB DID NOT PUT ANY WAX ON THE 6 SLATE BOLT OPENINGS!!!! I was fuming. Called the owner screaming at him and got some money back.

table lasted one month before I gave it away free to make room for my diamond table.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had my table recovered by 2 different mechanics since I've had it. Both used bees wax and both times it popped up a few months after. Reading about Bondo on here I decided to do it myself. I re leveled and glued the slates and used Bondo on the seams and it plays great.
Maybe glueing the slates would have done the trick still using bees wax but I am happy with my results.

Robotron

Interesting!!

Two questions spring to mind: Gluing the joints, is this using the small paper squares method I have seen on an online video, or gluing the full joint? How will it ever come apart again??

And yes, what about the screw holes some slates have in the playing surface. Can you Bondo those? And can you get it off again to access the screws?

What do you guys think?

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of thoughts. I have seen bondo chip the slate when pulling them apart for a move. Beeswax is nice and works well as long as its in a climate controlled setting. I have seen it move around or fail in situations.

Years ago when I worked on tables I used Durhams rock hard putty for the seams and any screw holes that needed to be filled and it seemed to work the best of the 3 methods over a several year and thousands of tables set up, taken down or repaired.

i have seen and heard about the glue method but have not had enough experience with it to make a call but a guy I know that still sets up tables swears by the method.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Hey guys!

Seems to be some confusion on which is best to seal slate joints. beeswax, or (car) body filler?

Any thoughts/votes (and reasons appreciated!!)
I used beeswax since my table was used and had previously had wax used on it. I didn't want to have to try to get bondo to stick to waxed slate. It's fine with no problems.

Robotron

I used beeswax since my table was used and had previously had wax used on it. I didn't want to have to try to get bondo to stick to waxed slate. It's fine with no problems.
That's a very good point!! Anyone have experience on using Bondo on an older table that had been previously waxed, rather than brand new?

Robotron

Looking at the old installation manual for the Brunswick Heirloom, they say to use a quick drying plaster of paris (!!!)

poondogger

Registered
Brand new factory Diamond installed a couple months ago. Slates were glued together with business card spacers and super glue, beeswax to seal the joints.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the body filler not prove damaging to the slate if it ever has to be dissasembled (i.e. chips etc) and then reassembled again? Can you get it off before reassembly?
With the slates seperated you can scrapeit off the edges before reassembling.

If it is a small gap, we use beeswax.

We super glue 4 business cards vertically put in between slates, then shave them flush. Keeps the slates from popping and leaving any lines or ridges in the cloth.